This Disappears When Logged In

Uh oh failing the 12 steps!

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by BlackJack, Jan 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Here's my latest problem. As I was getting my F/T rats at the pet store, I was showing the girl pics of Monty and Talyn. The manager saw my BRB and asked if I was selling any. This is the second pet store that offered to buy babies off of me to sell. The local zoo has a pair that hasn't bred for years, so pet stores haven't had any babies to sell.
    I had thought of it occasionally, and now just a bit more.
    Well, I found a GORGEOUS BRB-stud today. (Actually we met back in August -- he was the first BRB I'd ever seen and why I fell in love with them.)

Why didn't I get him? The guy running THAT pet store (a different one) is a TOTAL JERK (more descriptive adjectives are not allowed on this site!) I can't stand him and get the WORST feelings when I go in there.
    He refused to hold this BRB for me back in August (even though I offered to pay full price AND something towards boarding for a few weeks.) I just wanted to see if it was still there. He is (in August they said it was a female, now it's a male -- I will have to have that checked for sure!) He is about 6 years old and much smaller than Talyn. But is a much brighter orange and has full yellow cresents: Talyn just has a few flecks.

I feel sorry for this snake being in the care of this guy. The care is probably adequate but I can't stand him. The question is: should I let my feelings for the owner stop me from getting this snake or should I steer clear completely?

I'm not ready to breed Talyn -- probably not even at the end of this year. But the new guy will have to be quarantined for several months and by then I could either have built him a new enclosure or find some way of sub-dividing Talyn's huge terrarium. He's a beautiful snake and is definitely not directly blood related to Talyn (as the other BRB where I bought her probably is.)

Any ideas???? (of course I've got to run it past Martin too, but I just thought I'd ask you all here too. Thanks!!! :D

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Buy him,,,,,,today. (I'm impulsive and addicted to herps)

3. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

No peer pressure here.*****buy him*****Maybe you should think*****now****about it for a*****quick before someone else sees him****few days.

4. BlackJack

Thanks, Jay, that's what I keep hearing too!!!

Hey! (I'm adding this on, after hours of research.) How can I be sure that Talyn is a BRAZILIAN Rainbow Boa? (That's what she was sold to me as, but I've been looking at Rainbows and she looks IMO the LEAST like any of the Brazilians I've seen. I think she looks more Peruvian or Marajo Island.

If she were not a Brazilian, would that make her incompatible for breeding with the (textbook looking -- Brazilian I saw today?)
    Here are some pics I've found. (taken from this website:http://www.rainbowboa.co.uk/gallery.php) The first is a Brazilian (looks EXACTLY like the male I'm interested in), the second a Peruvian and the third is a Marajo Island, the last two areTalyn.

Attached Files:

5. SpeacilK

SpeacilK Elite Member

wow i can't help you there but i would say buy him too(yet aother compulsive herpl loving person :p ) and tayln is very pretty, and the one in the first pic is WOW! now i need a BRB

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you think the snake has been adequately cared for I would go ahead and get it. Just because the guy comes off as a jerk doesn't mean he is bad at caring for the animal. I have known snake people that just really didn't associate well with other humans. One in particular comes to mind that took me along time to get into his head. In reality he is a nice guy and a wealth of info on herps,...just is lacking somewhat in people skills.

7. Brent Strande

Brent Strande Elite Member

I'd say that yours is still a Brazilian, as they are FAR more common and most people *should* know if they're dealing with one of the rarer Rainbow boas... although you never know... but she sure does look like a BRB to me.

As far as buying him, I'd say go for it! AFTER you have a proper setup ready and set to go for him of course... if for some reason he all of a sudden sells overnight, then it wasn't meant to be, and you WILL be able to find another. But if he's been there since August, you shouldn't have too much of a problem waiting a day or two til his new home is ready for him!

Remember, that's a part of being a responsible owner...

Good luck and I hope that you get him!!!

8. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Hey Andrea,
    According to Barnards Reptile Handbook (which I feel is a must read for any herper) The Rainbow is classified as species Epicrates, which includes west Indian and Rainbow Boas. to me that seems strange: ie....Brazil and West India ? but nonetheless, according to the info, all are compatable for breeding. The offspring might not be "purebread" so to speak, but they should be mateable....hope this helps....and I'll try to obtain a West Indian picture to compare against the Brazilian.

9. BlackJack

Thanks Brent; I've got a complete quarantine set-up in place already (from the mite quarantine I went through with the other two.) I've learned my lesson: all new snakes have mites until a 3 month quarantine guarantees they don't!!
    In the Swiss pet store (German-language), Talyn was sold to me as a "Rote Regenbogenboa" (a red rainbow boa as opposed to a brown rainbow boa: the Columbian, Venezuelan, etc. And since, as you said, Brazilians are far more common, I figured that's what I was getting. And you're right, someone should know if they're dealing with one of the more exotic varieties.
    She just seems so much darker than the ones I've seen (including the pics of yours and Rachel's)

Thanks everyone! I'll post pics "if" I get him. ;)

Martin's getting worried that people will think he married a freak. (I told him I wanted to be the first to tell him HE DID!!!!!!)

10. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

After further review,,,and a good point by Andrea,,,,,west india ,ie ,west indies, is in close proximity to Brazil,,,why I was thinking India as in the country I haven't a clue.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hey its those "normal people" that worry ME anyway!
    Just tell him you are eccentric. Its expected of one who is an artist! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.