This Disappears When Logged In

Types of Heat Emitters??

Discussion in 'Heating' started by Frognut, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Hi Everyone!! (I know -- LOOOOONG time!)

I'm setting Athena, my Albino Corn Snake, back up in her custom coffee table tank (yes, I have moved to new rental in Morganton, NC and got her back from the snake sitters - YEAH) and the heat emitter is dead. However its not the standard ceramic heat emitter - it looks more like a flood light. I can't remember where I got it (know I ordered it online and it was expensive), but it directs all the heat downward so I didn't have issues with the wood table top of the coffee table getting too hot. The regular ones creates too much heat upward for this tank.

Does anyone know what the heck I'm talking about and where I can get a new one? And just for the sake of clarity, there are no markings on the bulb to give me a clue, other than it's 120v/60w bulb.

Thank you!!!!!

Hugs to all my old friends!

Frognut
    AKA Stephanie

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Steph, good to have you here again, hopefully you might even stick around a day or two!
    I think a halogen bulb (flood, not spot) will work very well in this tank, they too direct the heat downwards and can also be dimmed which makes adjusting the temps that much easier. They are quite cheap and can last up to 3,000 hours. I use the "Sylvania" brand (also available in America, I think)?

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2885/11123186274_6832645d46_z.jpg

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  3. Frognut

murrindindi!!! So good to 'see' you!!! The only problem with that suggestion is it adds light - I just need heat, and I'm connecting it to a thermostat (or is it a rheostat???) so I'm not sure a light will work. Someone here recommended an online place to get these and for the life of me I can't remember.... I can't believe the light itself has no markings on it.

Yeah, now that I have my snake back home and my gecko's still - I hope to check in a bit more regularly. I also have more time currently as I'm not working (boooo) -

Frognut
    AKA Stephanie

4. jarich

jarich Elite Member

In that type of enclosure I'd actually look at getting a radiant heat panel. Much less risk of overheating and burning it down.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

6. Frognut

Hehe, yup I've been snuggled up all comfy in my bedding for a while now. Love North Carolina!! Still need a job (at least a f/t job that pays decently).

Thanks for the suggestion, but that's not what I had -- I'll get a picture of it later and post it. It actually looks like a flood light with the silver sides but it's got a coil inside for heat, no light. Of course I was SURE the mighty Merlin was the one with the initial suggestion.... alas, we'll figure it out.

And thanks for the suggestion, jarich - but the tank already has the fixture installed (here is a link to the tank and in one of the pics you can see the fixture, which is also a sticky in one of the sections: http://www.herpcenter.com/general-construction/29635-coffee-table-tank-skink.html

Frognut
    AKA Stephanie

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again Steph, I just looked at your old thread when you made the wire cage for the bulb, it looked suspiciously like a CHE, so I take it you changed that at some point? You`ve gone and gotten me all confused... (again)..... :(((

8. Frognut

Yup, I changed it out. Let me see if I can post pictures of my heat emitter that used....

Front View.JPG Side view.JPG

Frognut
    AKA Stephanie

- - - Updated - - -

The only markings on the unit are:
    PAR30
    120V60W