This Disappears When Logged In

Type of Prey

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by xViLLaiN, May 14, 2012.

1. xViLLaiN

xViLLaiN Banned User

So I know this question is FAR too early to be asking, but it is something that is on my mind. I'm thinking very far ahead when Doom reaches his full size. I know I see a lot of people who feed rabbits and things other than mice. Problem is, when adopting Doom (Common Red Tail) my wife's biggest concern was feeding rabbits when he reaches his full size. She is VERY AGAINST the idea so I was looking for an alternative. One thought that crossed my mind was possibly pig, since it is something that we as humans eat, it seemed like it would be something easy to find and possibly cost effective as well. When I mentioned it, she seemed to be more comfortable with the idea. So my question is, is feeding pig ok to do when he reaches full size? Either way, what do all of you recommend for an alternative to bunny/rabbits at full size?

2. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I just noticed this post or I would have posted sooner. I don't think the rabbit/pig issue is going to be a factor. I have 6 grown boa constrictors and none of them eat anything but rats. The largest one eats xxl rats and is quite happy eating them. The others all eat xl/large and medium rats depending on their sizes. My largest one is a little over 6.5 feet long and about 25 lbs. She is very content to eat the xxl rats and I don't see feeding her anything else. I but all of my feeder rodents at Frozen Mice, Frozen Rats, Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chicks and Quail and all my feeders come frozen stiff as a block of ice and I even get rabbits from them (for my Burmese pythons). There is no difference in feeding rats or rabbits when they all come frozen. I realize some people think rabbits are so cute and cuddly, but the truth is, they are all food and it is way easier when they are frozen.

3. xViLLaiN

xViLLaiN Banned User

Thanks for the response, I actually found a great site that ships colossal rats and this is something that is not an immediate issue. Im sure when Doom is big enough, if we need to feed rabbits, there won't be an issue since like you said, the rabbit would be dead already so my wife may not have an issue (or just not be around for the feeding) lol.