This Disappears When Logged In

Type of Boa?

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by brdrokem7, Oct 25, 2014.

1. brdrokem7

brdrokem7 Member

Hi, I got a snake today that was sold as a Dumerils boa, but to me it looks more like a columbian red tailed boa because of the pattern on its tail. The lack of pattern on the rest of its body is making me question whether it is really either of the two or something else. Does anyone know if this is a morph or just a different breed of snake? I'm told it's about ten years old and it looks to be about 5 feet long. The person who sold it to me did not know if it is male or female.

Thanks for any input.

Attached Files:

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Looks more like a morph of a common boa to me, but I am not familiar enough with morphs to hazard a guess as to which one it might be.

Pretty boa though. Pictures of the spurs might help us guess the gender. Boys generally have larger ones.

3. brdrokem7

brdrokem7 Member

I was able to get a few vent pics today. Any idea on gender?

Attached Files:

4. lizardhoarder139

lizardhoarder139 Elite Member

Yea that's some kind of red tail boa morph. It's a very pretty one tho :) dumerils have a really busy pattern

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'm going to guess male. Just a guess, though. Those are some nice-sized spurs.

6. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

7. brdrokem7

brdrokem7 Member

Awesome. Thank you for all the input everybody! :)

8. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

So. the seller didn't even know the sex? The snake is (supposedly) 10 years old and 5' long? Pattern does not indicate a Dumeril"s boa, they're actually very inbred but not into the various morphs the more common red tails have been. IF the age is correct it's gotta be a male, simply because females grow larger. I'd recommend taking it to a vet or having someone who knows what they're doing probe or "pop" the snake to determine the sex if you really want to know for sure.
    If the temperament/disposition is good, and you just want a pet rather than a breeding program, don't worry too much about the species. Becka and I went to the Hamburg reptile show a couple weeks ago. She fell in love with a baby boa, 66% double het albino leopard. It's actually a mix of 3 different red tail boas, but she couldn't care less. He's a great pet snake, happy to be held and hang out, eats f/t anything offered. What more could you ask of a snake?

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Popping is difficult and sometimes dangerous to perform on larger boas without causing damage or injury. It is only typically recommended for very young snakes. A vet could certainly probe the snake though.

Just because females grow larger does not mean this snake is a male. The sheer number of factors that can contribute to a snake's size can rule out guessing based solely on size. Environmental conditions, and feeding regimen of previous caretakers are major influences to be considered.

10. brdrokem7

brdrokem7 Member

The person I got it from was at least the third owner. The first was a teacher who had the snake as a classroom pet. I'm not sure how big he got to be during that time before going to the next owner, but I'm thinking that might have something to do with his small size now. The person I got it from said that he's had it for a year, but he's actually ten years old. In the year he had him, he's gotten a lot fatter, but not longer. He was very skinny a year ago. I'm thinking at somewhere in there he wasn't fed much or property taken care of so he won't reach his full size now.

He's really sweet and it doesn't actually matter if it's male or female, I just like to know. The link Susan posted looks like an easy way to tell by just feeling the tail. I'm not sure if it's as easy to feel in a bigger snake, but I'm definitely going to give it a try next time I have him out.

As far as what type of snake it is, I just wanted to make sure I knew what it was so I knew exactly how to be taking care of it and what to expect from it. I want to make sure I'm reading up on the right things. I've always been really into the different types of pythons, so I know a lot more about those than I do about boas. He's just going to be a pet. I don't have any boa breading plans.

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Other dead giveaways about gender would be seminal plugs (male) or unfertilized eggs (female).

It's still nice to know the gender, even if no plans for breeding are in place. Not necessary, but nice.

A vet could probe if you are unsure, but that video looks simple, too. I have a ale and female boa, I should feel them up, and see if I can notice the difference.

12. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Whatever kind of boa it is, it's absolutely gorgeous!