This Disappears When Logged In

Two Georgia Counties Asked to Enforce State Wildlife Laws

Discussion in 'Herp Awareness' started by Merlin, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The Center for Biological Diversity and allies today sent a letter to law-enforcement officials in Grady and Evans counties, Ga., calling for enforcement of state wildlife laws at “rattlesnake roundups” — annual contests in which hunters bring in as many snakes as they can catch in a year to be milked for venom, butchered, then sold for meat and skin.
    Two Georgia Counties Asked to Enforce State Wildlife Laws at Rattlesnake Roundups

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Wow, I've never heard of this before!
    I can't imagine attending such a contest/festival, blows me away when I hear this stuff that people do to animals and such. Hopefully it will be stopped everywhere.

3. Merlin

It's a long going deal in a lot of the southern states. We have several here in Oklahoma as well as Texas.
    A bunch of us jokingly refer to them as "Bubba Fests".
    They advertise them as being necessary for the control of the snake population to ensure safety of the human populations, even though the places they go to hunt them may be miles from any human habitation. They also make a big to do of the fact that they are milking the snakes for antivenin research when in fact, venom collected under such unsanitary conditions is absolutely useless. All they really are are money making events for the town.
    They have turned them into big festivals includng carnival rides and Miss Rattlesnake Roundup competitions.
    Just type in Rattlesnake Roundups and you will get an eyeful.
    I actually vend at festivals and I flat out refuse to support these!

4. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

When I lived in Mississippi, there was a festival like that. Most of the people that would participate were named Billy, Bobby, Jimmy, or Ray. All nicknamed Bubba or Jimbo... I am so glad most of the people in my county like to have protected forest and parks while only interested in killing deer and coons. *sigh*

Oh, and Merlin, I actually have a pamphlet from someone advertising a roundup. I can quote it as saying "Rattlesnakes, rat snakes, copperheads, water snakes, ANY snakes! Round 'em up and help protect your family and pets."

5. YellowOctopus

YellowOctopus Elite Member

You know, this is what drives me nuts about the herd-mentality type environmentalists. If this were seal clubbing, people would be breaking laws to stop these festivals, but because it's slaughtering snakes, you only get the much fewer and far-er between real environmentalists advocating it. Problem is, the realistic environmentalists don't get as much of a voice because we're not insane.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

We AREN'T insane?

7. Knox

Knox Elite Member

As dangerous as these animals can be in the yard of a small child, these roundups turn my stomach.

As Merlin said, they take these animals from virtual wilderness.

I have no problem killing a snake, or any animal, if it poses a threat to human life. But this is grotesque.

Unlike most people in this hobby, I am a Bible believing creationist Christian. And I believe these people will somehow answer to the Creator for the senseless murder of His animals.

They are not being killed for human protection. They are not being killed to make way for housing. They are not being killed for food - though they do cook and sell some for novelty. Needless killing is all this is, making a mockery of animal life.

8. YellowOctopus

YellowOctopus Elite Member

Good point. Any environmentalist who uses science to inform their positions is outside the norm, unfortunately, and technically insane.

Lame. I was hoping that the voice of reason would be on the "sane" side of things for once.

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

There is no real need to kill these animals, in most cases.

It just rankles me that people are so unwilling to be educated about it! Teach people how not to create a situation in which their life is in danger! It's easy to avoid, and most cases of a person getting bit - the person usually earned it.

10. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

Dragoness, I agree. When someone gets bit by a snake, 99% of the time they do something to ask for it. Anyone here that has been bit can agree to that, for even snakes kept as pets(or more like family) usually do not strike for no reason at all. For snakes in the wild, bites can be avoided all together just by being aware of your surrounding, educating children, and creating a wide berth using common sense if you do come across a snake.

11. mld

I'm sure that these snakes are indigenous to the area, therefore they are a valuable part of the food chain.

12. Merlin

Indeed they are. And these people fail to realize that were it not for the snakes they would be up to their butts in rodents!
    And subject to all the diseases that that comes along with!

13. ThatMan

ThatMan Member

I hate rattlesnake round-ups anywhere. But the real problems are in places like Georgia, where Eastern Diamond Backs are far more threatened than their western cousins.

14. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

wow, they even deem it neccasary to make videos of it, how many people get bit for being idiots? if only herp people had a voice to stop some of the stuff that we see.

15. mld

I can't watch that stuff, but if it looks cruel i would report it on youtube.

16. peter84jenkins

peter84jenkins Well-Known Member

I have reported several outright cruel snake killing videos to youtube and they dont seem to do much about it. Any chance I get I flag them though.

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Several years back, Apopka (local city) was having a very serious mouse infestation, homes were being overrun. The local government spent a fortune carting in owls and other raptors, all of whom promptly flew away...

Should have used snakes - not only would it have cost less, but also the snakes would have taken much longer to exit the area (if they chose to do so at all!) we have an abundance of local snake species to choose from, including several species of rat snakes that would have been ideal candidates for the job!

18. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

People forget (or don't realise in the first place) that snakes are part of the eco system. They do a great job of keeping the rodent population down.

19. Merlin

Most of the "hunters" that gather for these things couldn't care less about the eco system.

Its just another excuse to drink beer and raise a ruckus.