This Disappears When Logged In

Turtles?? Help....

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by TJOHNSON722, May 13, 2014.

1. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Ok, first let me start by saying, I'm out of my comfort zone right now. Im used to snakes. That being said, I'm looking for a turtle. Lol. Ok, back story, we used to have a turtle, it was a wild caught who we subsequently released later. Since my youngest daughter (4) has 2 small corn snakes in her room, she cares for them, helps feed them, sprays thier cage daily. My oldest daughter now wants a turtle. Completely out of my comfort zone now. Lol.

I already have a tank that we are cleaning out. It does hold water. I would like one that is mainly in water but creating a basking spot on rocks or what not is no big deal. I would maybe like one that doesn't get huge huge, but I do have large tanks in the black hole we call the basement so it's no biggie if it does. Red eared sliders are invasive species in Ohio, and you now can't own one unless you provide documentation to its origins, but either way I'm thinking something exotic, or not, I don't know. I like colorful things.

Any suggestions would be helpful, that way I can research them.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Map turtles and pink belly side necks both come to mind, as they both stay a bit smaller than red ears. No matter what kind you get you'll need a basking spot where they can get completely dry, and providing uv is usually a must. I'm sure there are plenty more choices, those two just popped up in my head first.

3. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Thanks. I knew about uv, and basking spot. The pink side neck one sounds interesting. My daughter will love it has pink in its name. Lol. I'll look both of them up. Thanks.

4. PakiBoy2

PakiBoy2 New Member

i had 3 turtles but 1 lived in a water tank: a red eared slider caught in the wild. they need a swimming area and i have fed mine mill-worms. i do not suggest this, butt i feed it to skink lizards bigger than he was!