This Disappears When Logged In

Turtles And Dwarf Caimans

Discussion in 'Crocodilians - General' started by oompa loompa, Feb 25, 2016.

1. oompa loompa

oompa loompa New Member

Hi guys, new here but not to reptiles.

What do you all think about keeping turtles with caimans? It would likely be a belize slider with a cuvier's dwarf caiman in a 13x10x4 enclosure. I've heard things like they will be fine, as well as things like there will be aggression, the turtle will injure the caiman, the caiman will injure the turtle, etc.

So, what is your take on it?

Thanks!

2. FervidBrutality

FervidBrutality Elite Member

My take is generally that I'm never willing to risk what I don't want to lose.

There's never a guarantee that they will cohabitate. You may end up with an animal that needs an emergency vet visit, or worse. Sure, you have some special instances where they do fine, but why risk it?

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have personally seen small alligators (4ft) easily devour turtle. The jaw pressure of crocodylians is not to be underestimated.

4. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

The main worry is the tail nipping and finger nipping the may do, especially if the caiman is small.

You may lose the turtle but I wouldn't worry about an adult going after an adult Belize. Adult for Adult, I'd say will be fine but things do happen.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I have seen it done, but if there is the slightest chance of the turtle being swallowed, I would guess it will happen eventually. You actually might be safer having multiple turtles, so the caiman can't focus on a single target so easily. Personally, I don't think I would mess with it.