This Disappears When Logged In

Turtle with Hole in His Shell

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Wish, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Wish

Wish Guest

I found a turtle in my back yard and he has a hole in his shell I've been taking care of him cleaning the wound and feeding him my question is will his shell ever grow back?

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Shell can knit a little bit, so if the hole is small, it may grow back together. If it is large, it may very well just stay a hole in his shell.

Turtles can take quite a beating and survive it. Amazing little creatures.

Check with local vets, some of them are able to replace parts of shell. It would be alike a plastic patch, essentially. If it is a young turtle, it would need replacing as he ages.

What kind of turtle is he?

3. Wish

Wish Guest

The hole is as big half dollar and you can see the skin.

4. Wish

Wish Guest

sorry didn't see you asked what kind of turtle he is a box turtle hes about three inches in diameter

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

that's a big hole for such a little guy. If there is already skin formed under the hole. he's doing good. Is it discharging any fluids or blood? does it look swollen, discolored, or infected?

Also, are the edges of the shell rough, or do they look a little worn?

It sounds as though he is already healing okay on his own... but keep us posted.

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Hi there, was looking on the web and found this site in new mexico, its a wildlife rescue. I'm not sure if you can take it there. I have seen other stuff on the web about turtle shell prosthesis. Hope the little one is OK. Good Luck

Wildlife Rescue Inc., of New Mexico - Volunteer

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

They have had good success with using fiberglass to patch shell holes in injured turtles.
    With a hole that size in a 3 inch turtle it is probably something that should be looked into.

8. mld

Yes, I've seen this also and it amazing what they can do. This would give him some sort of protection. Worth looking at for sure.

9. Wish

Wish Guest

Its no leaking, bleeding, discolored, doesn't look infected, and its not swollen. The edges are a bit worn down and there is skin formed under the hole. Its not half dollar size just a bit smaller like a quarter. Not that it makes that much of a difference its still a hole. I will take him to a vet on Tuesday and get him patched I will keep you guys updated. I will also take him to the wildlife rescue in Albuquerque N.M just 6 hrs away from Hobbs N.M to live out the rest of his life there. I will let you guys know whats going on with him thanks for your help.

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Awesome! It sounds like infection is not an issue. He does need a patch though - he is used to having armor there.

11. Wish

Wish Guest

Just wanted to update everyone that I got the hole patched.The vet said it will have to be done again when she grows, so I've decided to keep her and give her a good life. My niece named her Jesus. She is very healthy and happy now. If I have anymore questions i will let you guys know.

12. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Awwww sounds like a good new friend.

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Glad that all got fixed - even when she is done growing, the patch will probably need periodic replacement, but after the first few times, it will be a routine.

14. mld

Thats wonderful news, always nice to get updates like this. Good luck and god bless:)

15. klcostle

klcostle New Member

That's wonderful. I had a red eared slider lose a chunk of shell to shell rot and my vet debrided the area and patched it with some plastic like substance and after about a year it fell out and there was hard shell formed underneath. Don't know if torts are the same way.