This Disappears When Logged In

Turtle Tank

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Buggy0123, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

i don't know if any one on here knows much about turtles, but I was wondering if my tank is big enough for a Mississippi map turtle and a Florida red bellied slider. (They're compatible). Thetub is 4 feet long, 20 inches wide and the water can be filled to about 9-12 inches. (Or less if need be but from what I've read, deeper is typically better). Also would they both have to be female? I know I can't do two males but would it be possible to have one female and one male? Thanks.

2. MyImmortalWolf

MyImmortalWolf Elite Member

The recommended space for RES and YBS is generally 10 gallons per inch of carapace. How old are they, and how big are they?

Buggy0123 likes this.
  3. Buggy0123

I was planning on getting babies.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Sound like one of the 50gal stock tanks. That should be fine for them until they reach a few inches, then you might need to upgrade.

5. Buggy0123

yeah, I picked it up at Home Depot with my dad. It's one of those christmas tree boxes and I figured 15 dollars was better than one of those 200 dollar tubs. :p thanks.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

As long as the weight of the water doesn't blow the sides out, and you can get one of the plastic 50gal stock tanks from a farm sully or feed store for around $75, less on sale. Good luck.

7. Buggy0123

Thanks. But just a day ago my dad came home with a 75 gallon tank (he's a land lord and people leave tanks behind all the time) and I was wondering if this would be big enough for two map turtles for their entire lives? The dimensions are 48"x18"x12". All the things I've read are very vague about tank size.

8. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

That would likely be just fine, maybe just a bit on the small side if you end up with 2 females.

9. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

It'll do for a good while but keeping two females it'll be crazy small.
    A male and female could be doable, but I personally feel that even with two 5" males it'd be pushing it. (Ive been known to keep a pair of leopard geckos in this same size tank)..

It would do well for a nice amount of time though, be sure to add a lot of hiding places. as it could stress them out. Babies tend to hide in the shallow parts of the ponds, rivers, creeks ect. In the mean time, I would lurk the plywood fish tank forums. They build awesome tanks out of plywood which would do really well for these guys.