This Disappears When Logged In

Turtle Tank

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Frogguy, May 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frogguy

Frogguy Active Member

What size rubbermaid container do you suggest for a RES turtle tank?:confused:I see them but the volume varies in quarts.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Depends on the turtle size and how many. Give us that, and we will tell you what size to get.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

there's 4 quarts to a gallon, and standard recommended is ten gallons per inch of shell length. Ten gallons is fine for a one inch turtle. 12 inch turtle needs 120 gallons. Two 12 inch turtles need about 240 gallons, etc.

4. schlegelbagel

We usually recommend stock tanks for full grown turtles. They are cheap and big.

5. Frogguy

Frogguy Active Member

OMG!:eek:10 gallons per INCH!:eek:Well what do you guys suggest that's smaller than a red eared slider.

6. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

LOL Ya, they need a lot of space. As to suggestions, that would all depend on what type of herp you like, the space you will have for it, the money you'll have for it's up keep, etc... ;)

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

If you can manage to get a Mississippi Map Turtle, and be 100% sure it's a male, you'll have a turtle about 5 inches long when fully grown.

Many species of musk and mud turtles stay relatively small.

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

This is my male Map Turtle. He's 13 years old this year.
    [​IMG]

9. schlegelbagel

Yep and they need 3 times the filtration too. So if you have a 100 gallon tank, you need a canister filter for 300 gallons! Turtles are NOT a small endeavor, and if you have a small turtle now, they won't stay that way!

But really, you can pick up a 125 gallon rubbermaid stock tank for about $65. A friend of mine did this and sunk a tall trash can in it with 2 cinder blocks and filled the rest up with large gravel to make a basking/land area. It worked really well.

Here is a link to a handful of turtle care sheets. Read well!
    http://www.wnyherp.org/care-sheets/turtles/

10. Frogguy

Frogguy Active Member

Liz ,where can I get one of those stock tanks?:confused:Thanks!Oh,and are mud.musk,map turtles aquatic?I want an aquatic species.

11. schlegelbagel

My friend got them from Tractor Supply company, but any farm store should either have them or be able to order them for you. They come all the way up to 500 gallons, but with that much water, they NEED to be on a cement floor.

This is the 300 gallon one, but it will give you an idea of what you are looking for.

[​IMG]

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Yes, they are all extremely aquatic. My map has a basking spot big enough to sit on, and it's rare he even uses that.

This is how I have him set up.

Attached Files:

13. Frogguy

Frogguy Active Member

Where can I find a stock tanks in El Paso, Texas?The nearest farm store is in Odessa Texas and I really don't want to go all the way over there.Thanks!

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Contact a local farm, and ask them if they know of a closer supply store.

You can also:

Go to a local garden center, and check out their pre-formed ponds.

Hit up a wal*mart for the biggest tub they have. (Which wouldn't be as big, but would at least hold you over until you could get to Odessa)

15. Frogguy

Frogguy Active Member

Well,I have a 35 gallon pre-formed pond but I feel it's way to small.Any suggestions?Are you sure Wal-Mart has them?That's where I bought the pond and have never seen the tanks.How about Lowe's or Home Depot?Do they carry them?

16. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

They both carry them here, but I am in the heart of iowa's farm area.

a list (I'm sure incomplete but whatever) that carries them around here are:

Lowes
    Home Depot
    Manards
    tractor supply
    blain's farm fleet
    norby's fleet farm
    mills farm and fleet

17. schlegelbagel

18. Frogguy

Frogguy Active Member

Ok so toay I went to Wal mart and Lowe's and no,they didn't have any stock tanks.BUT they did have a $40 kiddie pool with some stairs and a ramp up to a small area in which I think I can construct into a small land and basking area.Is this fine?

19. schlegelbagel

Depends how deep it is. The space is great, but they do want to swim. You may also need to make a fence around it so they can't climb out.

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

As well as a fence over it so the turtle doesn't fall prey to predators.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.