This Disappears When Logged In

Turtle smell help

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by artbabe33445, Jan 18, 2015.

1. artbabe33445

artbabe33445 New Member

Okay so I just bought a new home and there is a foul smell coming from my crawl space. I contacted the former owner and he told me that he had a 50 year old Tortoise that had been "hibernating" in there? Wierd. I didn't know if turtles/tortoises do that. I'm coming on here because I was hoping you tortoise and turtle experts might have some ideas on how I can get rid of the smell. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

2. ExoJoe

ExoJoe Established Member

I'm not a turtle expert but I am in the sanitation industry. You will probably want to clean the area out with an odor NEUTRALIZER product. You don't want something that will just mask the odor. Pay close attention to the porous areas (i.e. wooden floor or drapery). If possible air out the room afterward. There are several good products on amazon that can be used as a concentrate to add to water for wet mopping and general cleaning.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Is the crawlspace dirt or concrete slab? And yes some tortoise species can brumate in cooler weather. I'm wondering though if the totortoise was living in there full time though, as one wouldn't be passing anything that would leave a smell during brumation. Anyway, if it's concrete, what was said above is fine. If dirt, your probably in for a rough time, as any poo or pee spots will need removed, then you might be able to use some type of deodorizer. And if there is a way to do it, any extra ventilation will help a bunch too.

4. DragonSlayer

DragonSlayer Established Member

Contact www.OdorXit.com
    1-877-636-7948 from North America
    or
    001-513-895-1000 from the rest of the world.

They can provide you with a safe way to eliminate the odor.

5. KJ Rivas

KJ Rivas Member

Hi, is the tortoise still there? If so, is it alive? I know, it is a dumb question, but worth asking. Normally a hibernating turtle will not defecate or urinate while in hibernation.