This Disappears When Logged In

Turtle Rehoming?

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by MyImmortalWolf, Mar 23, 2016.

1. MyImmortalWolf

MyImmortalWolf Elite Member

I really want to find a new home for Shark with an experienced turtle keeper that can take care of him better than I can, and resolve the issues that keep cropping up- not to mention, I'll be heading off to college in another year and can't really keep him in my dorm room. I don't want to just post him on craigslist though, and I was wondering if y'all had any suggestions as to sites or places where I might be able to find someone who'd want him and is experienced with reptiles.

2. MyImmortalWolf

I'm, in Georgia, USA if it makes any difference.

3. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

Craigslist may be your best bet. Just specify that you will only give him up to a knowledgeable keeper then be as picky as you need to to feel comfortable. I had to rehome my snakes when I got married and moved and I used Craigslist. I was very selective and found both my girls great homes with owners I knew would take care of them. I'm sure someone else will come along with more segestions but that's what worked for me.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I used Craigslist to rehome a pair of Oscars once (fish, and big ones).

The ad started something like:

"Free to a good home, but you must prove you are a good home."

They ended up in a 1/4 acre private spring-fed pond, where the owner hand feeds and swims with his fish daily. He stocked the pond with other cichlids, and bred them. This was in South Florida.

I had to sift through a lot of profanity, and at least two posts from people I was certain were only going to eat them before I found a good one.

What kind of turtle? RES?

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Google around for a herp society near you, odds are there will be someone who can properly care for them. You might also roam about on some reptile related Facebook groups, seems to be a popular place for that sort of thing. As for the part of making sure they go to a good home, any ads could specify a requirement for a picture of an appropriate tank for them with the interested person beside it (To keep them from just pulling a pic from the net). And/or a requirement for a home inspection so you can actually see where they are going. Those things will likely cut a lot of responses out, but it may save you a lot of sifting through the public manure pile to find that rose, lol.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

That's how I handled mine - pics were an absolute requirement, and I went out to see the place (they even had me over for dinner) before committing my Oscars there.

7. MyImmortalWolf

Shark will come with his tank, filter, lights, food, and hide, so hopefully that'll make it a bit easier to find him a home. Thanks for the advice. Him going to a new home is going to be tough, but it's in his best interest.