This Disappears When Logged In

Turtle Newbie

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by purplecandle, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Geez, I wish I had thought to give you some more specific recommendations on the basking bulbs, like dragoness said, hardware store is much better for that. I usually use outdoor halogen flood bulbs for basking sites when I'm not using the MVBs to provide UV. Usually 6-8 bucks for the bulbs as opposed to 15+ for petstore bulbs. And the outdoor bulbs will take a splash, whereas most of the petstore bulbs won't.

2. purplecandle

purplecandle Active Member

That's ok! I'm glad I went to the pet store just to look at all the turtle stuff. I'm sure most of it is junk/unnecessary/over-priced, like the fish section...but still lots of cool stuff. Kinda funny..a lot of the products had pictures of my turtle on them.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The only thing I buy at the pet store is crickets, and feeder fish. I won't set foot in them for any other reason.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Yeah, I actually get my crickets at the taylor show, and I plan to buy minnows at the bait shop for the turtles and maybe the monitor if he'll eat some, so I only go in when I need to kill time. Found out the hard way that the local store owner really did only like me because I used to spend money there. She'll hardly talk to me now.

5. purplecandle

I use the bait shop for food as well. Crickets and worms. Or the supermarket seafood market!

I must say I'm in LOVE with this turtle. SUPER friendly! I think I'm doing all the right things. He's basking well. He's able to get completely dry. I have a window that faces the sun so once a day I put him in the turtle box, open the window and he gets some Sun.

So far he only eats crickets and shrimp, I'll keep trying other things.

Here is a crappy pic...but it's so darn cute!

IMG_20141026_114522.jpg

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Lol, have to agree thats a cute pic. Just be careful when your putting him in the sun that he can get to the shade if he wants and that the whole container doesn't get too hot.

7. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

I'm a bit late to this party but I've got some experience with this species so I'll give my $.02...

Not sure which filter you're using, I assume it's some type of HOB filter since the water level was giving you some trouble. A canister will work a bit better if you have one available. When I had my painteds (a pair of Westerns and a female Southern) I had them a tank similar to a standard 75G (odd size, I think it was 20" wide rather than 18") and used a Fluval 404, and it kept the tank very clean. I did regular weekly 50% water changes as I do with my fish and that worked very well. But I didn't use gravel, which made it a lot easier. I like the look of substrate though so I compromised with some of the "river stones" that you can get sometimes at garden shops or HD/Lowes. You've maybe seen them, kind of flattish rounded stones. They're big enough to where the current from the filter and the swimming turtles keep stuff from settling between them the way it does with finer gravel. I'm toying with the idea of using pool filter sand with out new turtle (my daughter found a baby slider, looks like an intergrade redear/yellow belly slider). I like the look of the sand, just worried the turtle may kick it up and into the filter as he grows (not too worried though, my big cichlids never did and they certainly love moving the sand around).

Also not sure if your turtle will take any greens. None of my maps or painteds ever did, though I've seen sliders munch on romaine and colllards so it's possible. Insects are good, bait fish, I tried to avoid feeder goldfish but I usually had a bunch of tuffie minnows in their tank and they'd pick them off occasionally. Oh and freeze dried krill was always a favorite.

8. purplecandle

I can't wait to get a new filter on that tank...such a pain (hob)! I will Take out some substrate once I can change the filter. I can't get him to even look at veggies. I don't really do the feeder fish, but I thought I might try frozen silversides.

Thanks for your 2 cents :) I appreciate it!

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

My map will eat almost anything. You might try thin slices or carrot, sweet potato, banana, strawberry, etc as treats.

10. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

O yes, if you can get the frozen silversides he'll love them.

11. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

You have to keep offering the greens until they start recognizing them as food. I usually just put a single small piece in and leave it for a while. If it finally dissapears, offer more. They usually get it eventually.

12. purplecandle

So basically, I'm just spoiling him LOL. Sounds like me. I have a few fish that refuse store food :(

I bought a gigantic bag of kale for him.. he won't touch it.

So, I myself have never tried kale, just regular lettuce. I put a piece in my mouth and spit it back out :-& "No wonder he likes shrimp, this stuff is awful", I thought.

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I didn't think Kale was that bad, lol. It really has no flavor, so I just cook it in lots of things, or eat it raw in salads or smoothies. (My co-workers tell me it tastes like freshly cut grass)

Let him work up an appetite - no food for a day or two, and then offer the kale, and he may nibble. I don't expect him to eat a whole bag of the stuff before it goes bad. The best way I have found for keeping it is to place a few paper towels in the bottom of a storage container, and dump the kale in on top of it, store with lid in fridge, usually lasts a week or two.

14. purplecandle

It's the taste and texture!

15. BrownFoundling

BrownFoundling Established Member

For yourself, try it cooked. About 3 minutes in boiling water does it. Another thing is to make kale chips. Tear out the large central rib an then tear the rest into potato chip size pieces. Spread these out in a single layer on a paper towel and microwave for a couple minutes. I don't remember the exact time, but the goal is to get them crispy. Spritz with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Both of these ways of cooking kale give you a very different flavor then when it is raw.