This Disappears When Logged In

Turtle Identification?

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by CaityCat, Jun 26, 2014.

1. CaityCat

CaityCat New Member

1403657169731.jpg
    1403824037552.jpg
    1403824046839.jpg

Found in a pond in PA, we think it's female. There's washable (nontoxic) blue and white paint around the rim of the shell, so just ignore that. I haven't been able to find any pictures of similar turtles. We thought it was a painted because almost all the turtles in that pond are, but even the shape is a bit off. Possible hybrid?

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Really looks like a painted turtle to me.

Never a good idea to paint the shells. Even though it says non-toxic they are rated to HUMANS, rarely wildlife. So the levels of toxins may not be toxic to us, they may still cause issues to small reptiles and such.

3. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

There is a turtle identification list on the internet so you can have fun trying to find it. Just type "Fresh water turtles of America" or something like that. As for it being a painted turtle, that's for sure right now! I endorse the suggestion to not paint the shell...she does not need the "dressing" and it may indeed harm her in some way as a reptile.

Adorable little critter.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And it isn't just the toxins. Just like our skin, a turtles shell is a living BREATHING part of its body. By painting the shell you are essentially blocking off oxygen to it.

5. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

Yeah the shell is bone as if you ever seen a turtle shell after the turtle left ( just kidding, it is something my kid said when I showed him.... He thought it worked like his hermit crabs lol) but after the turtle died... The back bone is in (attached) to the shell itself making the shell it's back bone. And if you ever studied biology, bones are porous and breath.... And yes the shell sheds scoots ever now and then but at the moment you are covering the pores and not allowing the shell to breath..... And I'm unsure if there is a way to remove it as nail polish remover is very toxic to them and even if it wasn't the polish is probably down inside the pores.....