This Disappears When Logged In

Turtle always hungry?

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by kevman, Mar 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevman

kevman Elite Member

My moms pet turtle, its a Florida red belly turtle, it always wants food, it wants to eat all the time. I feed him atleast 20 times a day 15 pellets each time. He follows her because he knows who feeds him, now she covers him with a towel. How much should he be fed?

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

this is from Chelonia.org which I find is pretty knoweldgeable. I honestly do not know much about RES's (my experience being when I was 5 yrs old,,,,with the plastic palm tree).......
    Be careful not to overfeed your Slider. I recommend only feeding 2 to 3 times a week for adult turtles and every day or every other day for the rapidly growing hatchlings. Sliders will consume vegetables, greens such as mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion, spinach, carrots, zucchini and any aquatic vegetation, i.e. duckweed, water lettuce, water hyacinth, etc. They will also consume insects, worms and fish. Many of the commercially prepared turtle diets that exist on the market today are excellent Slider food.

3. kevman

kevman Elite Member

Oh, nowonder hes such a fat turtle..

4. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

WHOA!!!!!! you are feeding that turtle waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much! First rule of thumb, even thought ur turtle may be acting hungry and accepting food, does NOT mean that you should be feeding that much by any means. Most turtles will act like they have never been fed once in their life when it's feeding time. But, this is just animal nature to stuff themselves and act starving, because they don't know when their next meal will be. Follow the food suggestions made by ken. If it's a young turtle, feed more of the fish and crickets, but make sure to offer veggies at least weekly. If your turtle is adult size, then feed it the veggies and the crickets and fish once every week. Only feed about every 2-3 days. I feed my baby Red ear slider turtles pellets, crickets, mealworms, and sometimes small feeder fish every other day. Just make sure that you vary the diet, and that you don't overfeed.

It sounds like you don't know that much about the turtle. Please do some research, and make sure your mom is well educated as well. This is only constructive critisizm, i don't mean anything personally.

Hope everything goes well :)

PLEASE PLEASE do your research!

5. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

One of my turtles is a florida red-belly. I feed him veggies (collards, bok choy, romaine, and dandelions) and frozen (krill usually) every other day, but in small amounts. Once a week he gets fish, like minnows or mollies. Red-bellied turtles are pretty fond of their veggies, something not often said for RES or painteds, though they need veggiues too. On occasion mine also get a little piece of banana, pear, or grapes.

6. kevman

kevman Elite Member

We have had him for about 3 years, and he's still kickin'. He is just really, really fat. And you can't walk by him without him going nuts wanting food, my mom feeds him for sympathy.

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Yeah, mine is the same way. Even more so than my other turtles. Once they learn you're the source of food, they realize that by acting like they need food, they get it. lol, Shelly's relentless!

8. kevman

kevman Elite Member

i should post a picture of him one day, he has fat stickout out from the leg holes in in shell.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! sounds like he has your mom very well trained!

10. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

Well, if when he pulls his limbs into his shell, his fat covers his face and such, then he's obese. He's probably ok now, but it's always better to have a healthy weighing turtle, than a cute obese one.

Just a suggestion

11. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Yeah, if he's that fat I'd put him on a diet. Its gotta get uncomfortable cause he keeps getting fatter, but the shell is holding it all in the same amount of space.

12. kevman

kevman Elite Member

I forgot to mention, when you put your fingers on the glass he tries to bite them off... Same thing goes for cleaning him, he attacks the siphen.

13. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

That'd just be cause he's not very tame yet. He doesn't like people and syphons coming into his territory cause he doesn't know if it will hurt him or not. My red-belly is very tame, but my RES will still protest being picked up.

14. IGGYMAN6982

IGGYMAN6982 Elite Member

I have a painted turtle and he does the same thing. Turtles are like dogs, they will eat until they get sick. I feed my turtle 2 times a day, whatever food is left in the tank after 10 minutes I remove.

15. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

start by feeding only every other day, with about 6-7 pellets every feeding. Don't give in to begging. He's fat, and if that doesn't work, well, maybe jenny craig will :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.