This Disappears When Logged In

Tunnels/burrowing

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by Dragoness, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

In my far off brainstorming of eventually getting a Savannah monitor, I am starting to think about putting together a cage (still a ways off before I start - right now I'm trying to see how I can rearrange to make room for one).

What substrate/blend would make stable tunnels?

Is it possible to create tunnels/hides/burrows and then bury them in the substrate? Would these even be utilized? I could make a few different sizes, and upgrade them with the growth of the animal....

I have heard that organic potting soil is great, especially when blended with play sand, is suitable for digging...

Thoughts, opinions, experience, and everyone's 2 cents (please deposit below!)

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

It's been nearly 12 yrs since I've had a Sav, however tunneling involves the same basics for all monitors.
    Your first task will be to maintain moisture in the substrate without it drying out quickly.
    They say that crushed granite is the way to go. But I don't know of many people that have successfully found any.
    Soil and sand mix seems to work quite well. The ratio of mixture is basically a "you figure it out yourself" technique. You want it to clump together when squeezed but don't want it wet at all.
    Putting loose gravel at the bottom of the substrate will allow any excess water to drain out of the soil.

I know some people use buried clay or pvc tiling to aide in the burrowing.

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You can use pipes of the appropriate diameter, that lead down to just a wooden box, it`s the same principal as digging a tunnel themselves, but without the risk of cave-ins.... So if you use a mixture of potting soil and sand, just leave in inch or two of the pipe above ground level, I`m sure the monitor will use it, just the same as a "normal" hide box, (you can have the pipe sloping down on an angle,) very easy to do, drainpipe will be o.k. for the first few months. (4 or 5 inches diam..)
    P.S. What made you decide on a Boscs? ( I thought you wanted a different species).

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'm gonna get my feet wet with something 'small', before moving upward to larger species. (oh, and space was a small factor too - I haven't kicked out Grey yet.)

And since I'm nowhere near even started with this project, I could still do some window shopping if I saw something of comparable size that appealed to me. I just have some prior experience with the Savs upon which to draw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.