This Disappears When Logged In

Tuck ate

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by Jem_Scout, Dec 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

My baby RTB ate today! I tried a f/t rat pinkie but he struck at it and then let go of it and wouldn't strike again :(
    So I went to town and got him a small mouse and he hit that so fast I jumped! :p (The guy that we got him from said he hadn't eaten for a week before we got him).
    For such a tiny little thing, I can see how strong he is already!
    Yes, he will be switched to pre-killed the next feeding and switched over to f/t ASAP.

2. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

awww, thats so cool, glad he ate for you, :D

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Good to hear Jem! One thing I found with mine is she is very shy about feeding. She would stricke and coil but them let go. Once I started to put the f/t in her hide with her she took it right down. And it will be a good idea to get her switched over to rats as soon as possible. You don't want the chance that she fixates on a particular food item. It will take a lot of mice to fill up an 8 ft boa!

4. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Hey Merlin? What happens when he gets really big? (I'm getting prepared early :p)
    I can't find anyone with rabbits or chickens for sale as feeders around here and hubby put his foot down and said "NO! You will not turn our yard into a farm!" LOL
    The question is: Is it ok to feet a RTB 2 (or more) big rats at one feeding or should they be fed twice a week instead? Or what?
    I don't want to power feed him and end up with a fat lazy boa either.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Rats will do you for a good while. Depending on the size of the snake a large rat is pretty big! The on line suppliers carry a variety of frozen. I know Rodentpro also carries rabbits.

I have heard from several keepers that feeding chickens causes the snakes waste to be rather,...hmmmmm,......potent!

6. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Thanks Merlin! I'll just grow the rats even bigger!! :D :p LOL

7. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

Boyd eats rats the size of lap dogs. NO I am not exaggerating. They seem to fill him up because I have yet to get him to eat two per sitting and I only feed him like twice a month.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.