This Disappears When Logged In

Tube UVB

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by jewledrose, Feb 20, 2011.

1. jewledrose

jewledrose Elite Member

I just got a plated lizard and will be moving him to a 50gal tank here in the next couple days. My question though, can I use a spot UVB or do I need a tube for the tank? If I need a tube, can I put it in a 30" aquarium light strip (that I have lying around) and center it on the 50 gal? Right now I have a spot on him in his TINY tank (poor guy), but as I said, I am getting a tank here soon and am trying to get what I need for it. Thanks

2. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

Congratulations on giving the guy a new home.
    With my limited experience, based on what I have read, my understanding of the spot UVB bulbs is that they are more hit and miss than a tube. There is less area for the lizard to receive the benefits of the bulb, whereas a tube spreads the UVB rays over a larger area.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

It kinda comes down to what works best in your setup.
    I prefer the spot MVB's made by ReptileUV as they give off heat as well.
    But if they don't work the way you have things setup. Then a striplight would work out ok. Just do a little research into which give off the best uv light and for how long.
    I have not used them for a while so I'm not sure which ones are best.

4. jewledrose

jewledrose Elite Member

Right now, it looks like I will have a 24" 10.0 reptisun strip light on the tank. I am always open for ideas, but with the 50 gallon tank he is going in, I think this is going to be the best option. Thanks!

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Actually with the tube UVB lights its is best to have two that run the full length of the tank.
    And there should be a way for the lizard to get up closer to them. The useable UVB from a fluorescent fades out at 10 inches from the tube.