This Disappears When Logged In

T's and scorps and 'pedes oh my!

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by furryscaly, Nov 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Ok, well I was bored, and seeing as how the buggy parts of the forum have been getting a little more attention lately, I thought I'd post a few pics of my inverts, past and present. Unfortunately, some of my beter T pics are on the puter back home. Ok, well I have too many pics to put in a post, so I'll just link to a photobucket album.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v506/furryscalyman/inverts/?start=0

2. eper-ani

eper-ani Elite Member

Nice pics furry, i never even thoughr about just posting a link to my photoalbum, im so stupid haha

Hey what kind of centipede is that? Im guessing cingulata or polymorpha but too hard to tell with those pics.

3. Inphormatika

Inphormatika Elite Member

That's a nice collection you got there. Do they have their own room, or just stacked cages or what?

4. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

You do have a great invert collection :) Which is your favorite?

5. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Well, unfortunately the only ones I still have are the two Ts and the fiddler crab. I had the roach and the millipede for several years. The stick insect only had a lifespan of 6 months, and I got her as an , so I didn't have her too long. The jumper and meadow spider I had for about a year, they were both WC by me. I loved my centipede, but had a lot of trouble figuring out what species she was. I was told she was a mediterranean centipede, but I'd always find others that looked like her. I thought she might be one of these:

http://www.petbugs.com/caresheets/S-cingulata.html

I could never figure out why she died though. I got her as an , and she always ate really well (typical 'pede voraciousness), but then after almost a year she slowed down a lot, stopped eating, and died. I hope it was old age, but I don't really know for sure.

As for my favorite, how can I choose!? Out of my current ones, Meistro (fiddler crab) definately has the most character, he's fun to watch.

6. eper-ani

eper-ani Elite Member

Hey furry if you have better pics of the pede (head shots and terminal leg shots) i think ill be able to figure out the species for you, although from those pics my guess is cingulata. Well if you ever have any pede questions be free to ask.

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Cool. Well, centipedes are REALLY uncommon in pet stores in ND, so I couldn't pass up the chance when I saw her. I know she's a female cause she laid eggs in the store, and the guy wouldn't sell her...until she ate the eggs, then I bought her. I've got a few more pics, but they're on a CD that just happens to be up in my room, so I'll post them tomorrow. How long to centipedes generally live anyway?

8. eper-ani

eper-ani Elite Member

Man I wish I had the answer to that question. People barely know anything about centipedes at all. Scientists know about as much as us hobbyists. There is no real number when it comes to their lifespan but someone I know has raised one from its egg and its now 9 inches. He has had it for almost 9 years now and it still seems real healthy. The study of centipedes is very new and not much research is being done on them. I think hardcore people in the hobby find out more about them than scientists at the Acadamy of Science over here in San Francisco. But if you need to know how to take care of them and basics im here to help. If you want to know the sex of the pede and sometimes the species-tough luck man

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.