This Disappears When Logged In

Trying to Get OK with Spiders.

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by Ieasa, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Ieasa

Ieasa Elite Member

My mother instilled a deep fear of spiders in me while I was growing up. I have kids that love them and have zero fear. I have always worked really hard to not instill my fears into my children.

Snakes was also a big one and now I live with 4 and handle most of their care. Love them! They do not affect me at all anymore.

I don't know that spiders will be as easy. I get hot and sweat and shake. I feel dizzy. I have nightmares often about not being able to get away. Usually they are not coming after me but they are just all over and I can't get to a place where they are not.

I want to get to a place where I can be OK. I have been standing by the glass case and even taking a peek at the pet store I get our feeders from.

Yesterday we were cleaning up the back yard and I found a spider. I kinda forced myself to look at a minute and decided I would take a picture of it and then just leave it where it was. This is a pretty big step. I would usually kill a spider. So here it is. Its kinda pretty.....

DSC_0823.jpg

While I had the camera out I saw this little guy. I have not seen one of these since I was a kid in Oregon.

DSC_0832.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Ieasa

Ieasa Elite Member

Does anyone know what kind of spider this is?

3. Khelmoria

Khelmoria Elite Member

It looks like a garden spider/ orb weaver

4. justor

justor Elite Member

Nice mantis, I see lots of them around here depending on the time of year.

5. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

You just have to think of it logically. Most spiders will do their best to avoid you and they do so much as far as catching insects you don't want in your home. Except for a few exceptions they are really harmless little animals that work very hard to keep the bad insects at bay... Instead of looking at them with fear try admiring their intricate work on the webs and all they do, maybe that'll help...

6. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

After watching arachnaphobia when I was a little kid spiders terrify me and I can't seem to get over it

There was a huge one in our living room today a mere foot away from me, so I took a folder of important documents and it went *splat*

*shudders* I just can't stand them. I know they're useful and chances are they won't hurt me, but I just can't stand their legs... or how they move... eeeeeeehhh I'm giving myself the willies o.e

Though I do have to say the spider in the photo is pretty. And I DO like jumping spiders.

7. T100

T100 Active Member

I get my Mantis eggsacks at biologic company, Willow Hill Pennsylvania.
    3ove.jpg