This Disappears When Logged In

Trying to Breed Superworms and Mealworms

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by TigerIvy, Jun 20, 2013.

1. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Hi all, ok well my [separated] husband has Leopard Gecko's (5 or 6 of them i don't remember), I have 5 bearded dragons and 12 turtles so I decided to try breeding mealworms and superworms on top of the silkworms and Dubia (variety is good? too many mouths to feed?)..soo here is what I have done and I would love suggestions...

Mealworms are housed in a 12"x12" box from walmart. I took the top, cut it and hot glued screen in the middle and on the sides for ventilation. I poured a messload of corn meal in the box (i dont know 2 or 3 inches? Maybe a little more?) and then took some cleaned carrots, cut them up and put them in. Then I added 1500 or so meal worms. I have a 2nd container that is the same, with just a little bedding in it (for pupae) 0then I have a third container much the same only it has an egg crate in it and a place for some water crystals. I have them back near my Dubia because its always warm back there...What else should I do other then just watch the main colony for pupated meal worms?

Ok I have done much the same for the super worms only i have 2 boxes (the one for the worms and one for the beetles). And then I have a mess load of babyfood jars all lined up inside a big rubbermade tote. I put all 1000 superworms in the bedding, put some carrots in and they are eating right now. So how do I know when to put them in the baby food jar? Large is like a totally subjective term here.

Ok and another question...back near my roaches the temps run about ..meh i dont know 82-85 degrees or so. Is this going to kill them? My silkworms do super awesome back there, they grow and grow ultra fast and healthy but of course each insect is different. Thanks

2. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

and besides carrots and potato what will they eat?

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

They will eat anything and everything veggie wise. Umm egg crate for the beetles image not be the best idea-I have never tried it and see no reason to. Mealworms and all be in one box and no need to seperate them but if you do want the beetles in one container then just leave them in the oats as they will lay their eggs in the oatmeal.

The superworms are what should be seperated. Size wise they get about 3in long and then you can seperate them. Put a bit of the bedding and a carrot in the jar incase they aren't quite ready to pupate. Then you have one box for feeding out of. One box for the beetles and after a month or so move the beetles to the third box so the babies have a chance to grow. Once you have feed all the worms out of the feeder box then move the beetles into that box and feed out of the other grow box. Repeat cycle as needed.

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Oh they really seem to like apples but those mold fast so do thin slices.