This Disappears When Logged In

Trying F/t

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Kendalle, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maya

Maya Elite Member

Just be patient and love the poor snake. It has been through some stress. Leave it alone for a good week with all the right temperatures, humidity, hides and fresh water. Feed it what he is used to for a couple of months and after that it is a long painful process to convert him to eat safely. It is a challenging task for us humans to figure out the snake's comfort zone. As a relatively new snake mom, I am still in that painful process.

2. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

We do have a feeding box, however no attempts to feed it have happened in it yet.

I am more frustrated with my roommates than the snake. Everything I try to say to help the snake gets shot down.

I just got in a fight tonight with one roommate that had the gerbil in a rubber made clear container and let his toy poodle try to attack it.

I said don't let her scare the poor thing, there is no need to terrify it before giving it to the snake. There is no point in that. He said if you don't like it just don't watch. I was fuming. The dog isn't even supposed to be here. He was mad at me for being mad, all its not your gerbil.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Yeah, it definitely sounds like your room mate isn't being exactly mature nor serious about the whole situation.

4. Maya

Maya Elite Member

You are absolutely right, quality of life is important. I literally spoil my mice until Tiberius is ready to eat.

5. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Its so frustrating! They are from saudi arabia and there they don't care for animals like people in the US do, and rodents are quite low on the respect for them.

Plus it kind of seams like one of my roommates thinks that he has higher say than I do because I am just a girlfriend of his roommate (I am a roommate too I pay rent, and so on) but it is like what he says he expects to be rule of the house.

The owner of the snake didn't research, and I don't think is prepared, and I can't help because everything I say gets shot down so quickly.

They seam to think it is none of my business, which in some ways may be true, but its an animal in my house and I think that gives me some say of how it is treated.

6. schlegelbagel

Sadly they don't value your opinion because you are a woman. Its just the culture. Have you tried printing out a care sheet at least?

7. Maya

Maya Elite Member

How apt of course, give him a print out of the care sheet. Yes sexism, that would drive me nuts. Looks like you are learning life skills in the process of respecting other species.

8. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Is your name on a lease? I would have a sit down with them and like Liz says print out the caresheet, and give it to them. I personally wouldn't accept anyone not giving me equal respect in my own home. I ESPECIALLY wouldn't take it from a significant other.

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I hope they come to and start doing properly, though it may be hoping too much.

10. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I have 3 roommates, the snake owner, my boyfriend, and one other. It is the one other that I was fighting with about the gerbil, it is him that makes rules that even my other 2 roommates have issues with.

It looks like he makes rules for us that he doesn't have to comply to, and gets angry really quickly if people push him on them.

I got my roommate that has the snake to join the site, read the caresheet, and look up information he tried f/t but not correctly and so it didn't work. I think I will be able to get him to try again but he is worried about his snake starving.

11. schlegelbagel

Since you didn't even get to offer the rat, just try again tomorrow.

12. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

He tried to feed the gerbil for all of 2 mins and it didn't take it. I don't know what to say to get him to understand I want to help, I think he knows, but it looks like since I don't have a snake I am not fully trustable.

13. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I am sorry to hear about the situation in your room, the sad part is, you can not change their culture, no matter how hard you try.

Why don't you let your boyfriend do all the talking for you, he is a man and they might listen?

14. schlegelbagel

That snake still sounds really stressed out. Is it in a quiet area of the apartment, or is everyone acting all annoying and loud around it?

15. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

it is in Kermit's room with the door closed so most of the time no one is in there, except me with Kermit.

I think she is still stressed too, he hasn't had her very long and I told him that she won't starve in a month with no food, but he feels the need to mess with her a little everyday and claims she isn't scared.

Last night he kept trying to get her to eat the gerbil which I think made all 3 stressed, she wouldn't eat in a min and he wouldn't leave them alone and the lights were on and I don't know but she didn't eat

16. schlegelbagel

If he is messing with her, there is no wonder why she won't eat. I wish he wouldn't act like he knows what he is doing.

17. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

It isn't all of them, I have tons of friends from saudi, my boyfriend included and 99% are fine and have adapted well or never were that much like that to begin with.

He wouldn't listen to my boyfriend it doesn't matter if he is a man if anyone says something like "I think your wrong" then its going to be an argument. or a fight.

18. schlegelbagel

If its his snake, why is it in your room? Wouldn't that make it your snake?

19. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

I think your 'friend' needs a 2 x 4 up side of the head!

20. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Its not in my room exactly it is in Kermit's, however they always complained about how my boyfriend and I get two rooms even though both of us are paying rent just like them.... but it is in Kerm's room because I heat that whole room anyway, and my roommates room is in the cold basement. he asked if he could put it in there, and i said only if the cage is always secure, and it may just be temporary. I may move in June.

So I think I did something bad... I befriended the food. I like the little guy, now I'm going to cry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.