This Disappears When Logged In

Trying F/t

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Kendalle, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Today my roommate and I are trying frozen thawed again. He tried it the other day but said he must be too impatient. Tonight we got a new frozen small rat, some gerbil bedding to scent it, and some of those long tweezers. We also got aspen bedding, and cleaned out her cage and got a feeding tub, and a digital hydro/thermometer

I really hope she eats tonight!

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

good luck!

3. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

:( It looks like I lost the battle, The rat tore open when being thawed and he threw it away and says that he is only going to feed live gerbils this was pretty much my only shot at getting him to switch.

4. EaZyBaKe0vEn

EaZyBaKe0vEn Elite Member

I would recommend trying Fresh Killed "F/K". Let your imagination figure out what you have to do. Or here's an idea, Buy another F/T Rat put it I a ziplock bag and soak it in warm water, then take a hair drier and blow over the Rat with it for a few minutes. The heat from the hair drier will give it "artificial body heat" so that the snake can see it, then take the long tongs/tweezers and dangle and move it around to grab the snakes attention. If it doesn't seem interested leave it in it's cage for an hour or so and if the rat is still there put it in a zip lock bag and throw it in the freezer until the next try. Just a few ideas for you to try :) Good luck. Don't give up.

5. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

She seems rather... grumpy a lot of the time. I walked in the room and she was striking at me! At least I am mostly over being jumpy from my iguana practice that I didn't jump but really how rude! she also struck at one of my roommates friends when she was out (granted he tried to take her out in the day time when she was sleeping so I blame him for that) This time however she was up moving around and i walked by and she got mad!

6. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Good luck Kendalle. One thing we know at least is that it does get better.;)

7. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I don't know that for sure, I've never had a snake! and to start with a big snake that has been under fed, lives in a smaller cage, and eats live gerbils.... I just don't know.

8. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Well, I can only say that persistence, patience and positive thinking usually makes every thing better at the end. I really hope you find a way.:(

9. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Me too, and I hope it doesn't involve killing my roommate. Fresh killed.. feed it to the snake... she isn't quite big enough to eat person though...

I just wish he didn't get it because I don't know much about them, and he knows less than me. I am stuck between telling him figure it out, and wanting to help her, and if I do my best to help and something goes wrong its my fault.

Like frozen thawed... she didn't eat the first one, second burst, and now he is saying she lived 3 years on live it will be fine. :( I just don't know.

10. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I would say leave the issue with the F/t for a while until the atmosphere is back to normal or more relaxed. The main thing is that the snake eats, does not matter what or how he eats it.

After things has calmed down would you be able to get life rats and just kill it before feeding?

11. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I don't know. I just hate the idea of picking out a rat. Its not my snake I could just leave the care up to him. I can get him to fix up the cage til its great, but I just don't have the stomach for live feeding or fresh killed. Blah. Snakes gotta eat, that's why I don't have one...

I'm feeling very down about this snake tonight. Gah :( I'm going to bed.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The rat probably burst because it was thawed too quickly. Also you mentioned that you just redid the tank? This could have upset the snake so that it did not feed.
    Sounds like you may have an aggressive one. Who knows how it was treated before it came into your hand. It may have very good reason to be aggressive to humans!

13. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I agree with merlin. That rat was thawed too fast. Put it in the sink with warm water. Let the water cool add more warm water. She probably just put it in hot water. That WILL burst the rat. I did it once with a mouse.

That snake sounds so hungry. It will probably take whatever it can get its teeth around.

14. angrykitten

angrykitten Elite Member

I don't think I have enough experience to help with this one. I have been fortunate enough to get a baby ball python who was already eating frozen mice and so far so good.

But I thawed her food like I do with ours...I take it out in the morning/lunch time and leave it in a ziplock bag in cold water until the evening. I warm the mouse with a hair dryer just seconds before offering it to my snake. I said in another thread that sometimes the heat from the hair dryer makes the mouse bleed from the nose (I noticed this with albino mice...don't know why). I think that helps with a positive feeding response.

I also read that you can "brain the mouse"...pierce the head and let some gray matter out. The snake can smell it and hopefully that would help. Perhaps it sounds gross, but personally I would try anything before giving up on F/T. I couldn't deal with live/fresh kill.

I forgot: I always feed my snake with the same "ritual". I put her inside a shoes box (I think it works well, as she is in the dark inside there). Always the same day of the week and at the same time during the night.

I really had my snake just for a few weeks, but I am trying to create a consistant routine, because I guessed that if she knows what to expect, she would feel safer and she would be less likely to strike or feel threaten.

I don't know...I am a mum: consistant routine works fine with young children!

So, our Sibilla get handled late afternoons/evenings from Thursday till Monday.

Monday night I feed her. Tuesday and Wednesday she gets left alone to digest.

I am not a very organised person, but this is easy enough for anybody.

15. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

It is possible that your roommate's snake is aggressive as has been mentioned or it could also just be very hungry and snapping at anything that catches it's eye. I rescued a ball python from a petstore about a year and a half ago. She was very aggressive and would snap at me everytime I would walk by. This was because the store owner allowed people to buy live mice and feed them to her all the time. She was very difficult to convert over to f/t (it took nine months or so). My point is given some time and patience and a little TLC your roommate's snake may adjust to it's new living situation and calm down. She may even become a great pet. This is by no means a guarantee but it can happen.

16. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

That's just sick!

17. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

That's why I got her out of there, only problem is he probably sold her to me and then got another one to take her place the same day. I haven't been in that store since, because I couldn't afford to buy them all. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to stay in business. Same old tirade that everyone else has said probably more eloquently than I did though.

18. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

OK I questioned if it was thawed to quickly that explains it.

All we did was change the bedding and clean out the tank, it was very very dirty.

He didn't even try to feed it that rat cause it burst open. I think she would have eaten it... is it bad to feed one that is broken?

He said it would have made too big of a mess.

I don't know if she is aggressive or really hungry. When she is out she is ok,

From what I understand the owner before basically had it in the tank and threw a gerbil in once a month and called it good. It shed horribly, it is thin, the humidity next to nothing I'm sure. it had no cool side the heat lamps were over all of it.

19. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

You could feed it a burst rat, it would make a mess, but its clean-upable.

If she is out and OK, she probably associates coming into the tank with food. If you get her to take a f/t rat, the next step is to get her switched into a feeding box.

20. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

I would definitely go with a feeding box, I refuse to feed my RTB in her cage, not only because I don't want her to associate me reaching in to feeding, but because her cage is a vision cage, sliding glass doors on the front,I would have to be on the same level with her to feed her, not looking for a bite to the hand or face;)

Also, feeding in a rubbermaid box is easy clean up, just wash with bleach solution and let it dry, no worries about cleaning anything unpleasant from cage & equipment etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.