This Disappears When Logged In

Tropical Terrarium

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by MadDog, Jan 10, 2012.

1. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

I have a thirty gallon tank that's being used by my boa right now. When she's out of it, however, I want to turn it into a tropical community terrarium. I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions as to what species I could use. I'm open to anything so be as creative as you can. :) I know I'm going to have some live plants and a waterfall in it, but that's as far as I've got. lol

2. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Three dart frogs and a red eyed tree frog.

3. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Dart frogs... that would be interesting! I've always liked the red eye tree frogs too! Thanks for the suggestion! :)

4. BarelyBreathing

They are both not considered beginner reptiles, but I think you can do it. :) Leucomelas and auratus do best in small groups, as opposed to tinctorius and azureus.

5. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

I'll have to look into the few you mentioned. It's going to be a little while before the tank is empty, so I have plenty of time for research, research, and oh yeah, research. lol

6. BarelyBreathing

I don't have pictures of my auratus, but here is a leuc:
    DSC_00342-1.jpg

Both darts and tree frogs love live plants, by the way.

Attached Files:

7. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Wow, that's a very pretty dart frog! Is it easy to keep fruit flies to feed them?

8. BarelyBreathing

Yeah! I used to have like... seventeen or some ridiculous number sitting around the house. Just remember not to mix cultures, because they could become flying.

I bought my first few cultures from a store. When they eat all of the food provided in their, just get a plastic soup container, mix up some boxed mashed potatoes with a crushed over the counter pregnancy vitamin thingy, and put the culture in the new cup!

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Being that they are fruit flies could you not use bananas? I seem to recall someone talking about culturing them with bananas.
    I know over ripe bananas will sure draw the winged ones!

10. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

I've read a few different ways to do it, myself. I've heard the mix and bananas, plus other homemade mixes.

11. BarelyBreathing

I've used fruit as a supplement. The problem is, if you give them too many bananas, I've heard rumors that they themselves become too high in potassium to feed. I've never experimented, so I have no first hand knowledge of this. As of now, it's clearly just speculation.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

But a good point!

13. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Some other species I am considering, just to share my thoughts, are dwarf day geckos, dwarf chameleons, and mantellas. I also like the glass frogs. So many options! lol

14. BarelyBreathing

I have experience with, mantellas and day geckos.