This Disappears When Logged In

Tropical Spring Tails Question / Concern

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by herps4life, Jun 16, 2010.

1. herps4life

herps4life Elite Member

Hello everyone, i have been using tropical spring tails for a few years in one of my tree frog terrariums with no problems, they do a great job breaking down dead leaves, poop ect, since the tree frogs spend little time on the ground i have never noticed them on the frogs themselves and there too small to be food for the frogs they reside with.
    I have recently added them to my tomato frogs terrarium,(within the last 3 months) The tank is a 55 gal naturalistic, with live plants. is is pretty much self sustaining, i spot clean for leaves and poop a few times weekly. i have become concerned though, because today when i was cleaning, i picked up and inspected all three frogs, and noticed the spring tails on the backs of both female frogs and on the legs of the male. I have yet to see any problems with the frogs, they all eat well and are somewhat active,(they are tomato frogs so by active i mean they change ambush sites every other day or two) and they all look well no lesions anywhere on there body, eyes are bright.

Should i be concerned about this, i saw them on my froggies. I want to just totally renovate the tank now, dirt plants and all, and give the frogs a bath. Am i being worried for nothing or should i renovate?

***Sorry for the long post***

Attached Files:

• 224.jpg
      224.jpg
      File size:
      22.9 KB
      Views:
  2. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

That lovely moist enclosure is a great spot for the spring tails to multiply. It could be that their numbers have increased enough that they are looking for more munchies. I don't know anything about them but I would freak if they were on Krim.

You may want to take a peek at this thread... even though you house them in a larger tank...http://www.herpcenter.com/amphibians-general/28689-tomato-frogs.html

3. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

I can see your concern, but the sprintails will not harm your frogs. The springtails only eat dead matter. They are like maggots that only eat dead flesh. Your frogs should be fine.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I agree, they shouldn't harm your frogs.

5. herps4life

herps4life Elite Member

thanks, everyone, i will just make just i pay extra close attention to them for the next few weeks