This Disappears When Logged In

Triple Expanding Foam Enclosure

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by wyleekiot, Nov 13, 2012.

1. wyleekiot

wyleekiot Member

i stumbled across an idea i really like...triple expanding foam for the floor and three of the walls and possibly even a hide. this would be for Rip our new plated lizard which you guys helped me with. My thought would be to foam the three sides then put a balloon in the corner and foam over it, let it harden then deflate the balloon. would that work? im assuming i would have to put a chunk of slate or tile on top of the hide to hold heat for him to sun on. my questions are:

how well does this work?

what would i paint/seal this with?

will the foam melt with the tile/slate getting to 95ish degrees?

what diameter does the inside of the hide need to be for him to get in and out of?
    he has gotten a bit more exploratory and we found him under a huge conch shell we placed in the corner. I wouldnt have though he could fit in there..

will rip use the restroom in his hide? or are lizards like dogs who seem to pick a spot to use for a bathroom?

2. wyleekiot

wyleekiot Member

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I wouldn't use it for the Basking spot, as the cool side hide sure. It is much easier to just build a rock cave or stack flagstones. Like this: image.jpg or image.jpg image.jpg
    Rock caves also retain heat better so they will give a warmer option to sleep at night.
    I have heard that there is a gorilla glue method, or silicone (I assume both of these is just take the glue/caulk and cover the foam completely). I personally would paint it with acrylic paint and then cover with polyurethane.
    Though with using the gorilla glue you can press sand or moss into it to add a textured look.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Yes, keep in mind you will need to protect the foam. It's main purpose is something easy to carve but it's still needs to be coated with mortar or a tile grout adhesive product.