This Disappears When Logged In

Treebound Reptiles?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TurboCoffee, May 9, 2014.

1. TurboCoffee

TurboCoffee Member

Hi I was wondering if anyone is aware of any reptiles that stay in a tree their entire life And won't go onto the ground?

2. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Most arboreal animals descend to the ground every once in a while:) In snakes, the closest you can get is probably the green tree python, which pretty much stays up on its perch. Emerald tree boas and amazon tree boas are similar in this respect, although the amazons are sketchy and can be persistent biters. The GTP is also not much of a handling animal and is usually considered to be mostly a display pet. Most vine snake species also live in trees or bushes most of their lives. As for lizards, the only one that comes to my mind right now is the arboreal aligator lizard (genus abronia). Are you planning on keeping an arboreal animal as a pet?

3. TurboCoffee

TurboCoffee Member

That's a pretty cool little lizard. Yeah what I'd like to do is have a lizard of some sort hang out on my Madagascar dragon tree all day in the corner of my living room under a heat lamp. Then at night and when I'm busy return him to his terrarium.
    So I'd like a lizard which is preferably slow and stays in a tree all day so I don't have to worry about it running all over the house. i was hoping there might be some sort of Jackson's chameleon or gecko or something.

I wish Solomon island monkey tail skinks weren't endangered now. I used to have one 10 years ago and he would hang out on top couches and chairs and drapes. But they aren't legal anymore I don't think.

4. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Oh yeah, chameleons! I forgot about them, haha:) They are a good choice since they are slow-moving and they won't scutter away into a corner. Crested Geckos are arboreal and very unique in appearance as well, so you might want to check them out. The aligator lizards are great animals, although they may be difficult to find in pet stores, depending where you live:)

5. TurboCoffee

TurboCoffee Member

Yeah they are pretty steep in price too. But certainly a cool lizard.. I like the Tokay gecko. But he looks more like a rock gecko then a tree gecko. And geckos in general will probably end up on my wall. I'm not sure how hardy chameleons are though. I feel like they seem very fragile, but they may be the best choice

6. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Trying not to think about arboreal alligator lizards... Although I already have the set ups and understanding of their needs... I just can't think about expanding my species list :p

7. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Well chameleons are not really a beginner reptile; the most forgiving and most appropriate for inexperienced keepers would be the Veiled Chameleon. It's relatively tolerant of newbie mistakes, but still has specific requirements that must be met in order to keep it in health. Also, bear in mind that chameleons don't like being handled and may get stressed out if there's too much activity around them. There are pretty few animals that will stay motionless in the tree all day, most will eventually make their way to the walls or floor, unless you provide some extra fencing or something. You have to keep a close watch on any animal that's loose in the house:)

8. TurboCoffee

TurboCoffee Member

Yeah. I was reading that the Jackson is fairly hardy. My cousin used to breed them or still breeds them so I'll ask him.
    I'm a bit of a newbie since it's been so long but I used to have 2 iguanas and a Solomon skink and a box turtle but that was all ten years ago. Currently I have a smiley face ball python and a coral reef tank... So I'm not that much of a newbie, but I am to chameleons.