This Disappears When Logged In

Traveling With Iguanas

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Gloria, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Gloria

Gloria Member

So my fiance and I went on a 3 day trip today to visit some family, and we left our iguanas in the care of his parents. Feeding them, changing their water, and switching their lights. Easy enough, right?

Well we got home today and their cages were a MESS! They had all been fed but one food bowl had dry s**t in it because no one had washed it out, and two water bowls were in the same condition- with barely any water in them at all. Along with that, their newspapers were scratched to pieces and claw marks were left on the walls. This is something that does happen normally with iguanas, but to be completely honest their cages usually look like that after about... I guess it would be a week, except I always change it every other day so I wouldn't know. My only guess is that our iguanas were quite terrified that there was somebody else reaching in their cage other than us. That, along with the fact that they were not taken care at all (which is surprising because his parents had experience with their daughter's iguana in the past) was enough for my fiance and I to decide that next time we go on a trip- even if it is for 3 days- that we will be taking our lizard babies with us.

Which brings me to my main question:
    What do you do when traveling with iguanas? I know that you wouldn't be able to pack up their enclosures entirely, so what would you use instead? I would really appreciate any suggestions I can get!

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

For anything less than a week the iguanas will be better off just left at home.
    Feed and water them before you leave and they will do just fine.

3. Gloria

Gloria Member

So they'll survive a week without food is what you're saying? I honestly don't know how comfortable I'd be only feeding them for one day. They have huge appetites and are always hungry when they wake up. Leaving them without food each day that I'm gone just wouldn't sit well with me.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You have to understand reptile metabolism. Unlike mammals and birds, reptiles do not generate their own heat. Which is where most of the calories consumed go.
    Reptiles can go considerably longer without food
    Gravid iguanas will eat virtually nothing for a couple of weeks prior to laying.
    Make sure that they have water. If it makes you feel better you can leave a bowl of RepCal pellets in there for them to snack on. Particularly with adult iguanas it's simpler than having someone have to deal with them who is inexperienced

5. EctoJoJo

EctoJoJo Well-Known Member

I would have to agree with the previous comment. I don't have a lot of experience with igs but a travel of extended time without necessity could stress them out immensely. There are automatic feeders and waterers (more so for pellets) if that would help with your concern. A few days to a week should definitely be okay for them.

6. jayduvall

jayduvall Member

I'd listen to Merlin, he knows what he's talking about. Iguanas feel more comfortable in thier enclosure. They are not like dogs, they will stress out and will claw your vehicle up to shreds, you'd have to put them into a tote or s cat carrier.....