This Disappears When Logged In

Transporting RES

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by geckoguy14, Mar 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

Hey everyone.

here's the deal....i have a school project that is over lake tanganyika in tanzania. One part of my project was to either bring in or create a visual that represents my project's topic. I had no idea what to bing and then that's when the "herp side" of my brain started to kick in......turtles are a very very important part of the ecosystem in lake tangayika. So, (after my teacher suggested it first) i decided to bring in one of my 2 yearling RES.

My questions are,
    What would be the best way to transport them that would keep them happy for about 6 hours. I want this to be as educational and stress free to my turtle as possible. My idea, is to use my largest critter keeper. cover the bottom with a very thin layer of gravel (to disguise any poop he may want to use to make things harder on me) no water, and a left over muscle relaxing heating pad left over from this winter's emergency supply, taped to the outside bottom of the keeper.

If ya'll have any suggestions, please get back to me asap.

Thanks,

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

How big is the Critter Keeper and your turtles? If its only for 6 hours though, I wouldn't worry too much. I'd put water in it though, and if at all possible, their lighting setups. Personally, when I've moved my turtles I'll move them into a smaller cage and bring that, but I'll set it up so its not much different than their usual home. Oh, and if you use gravel make sure they can't swallow any. Turtles are notorious for that.

3. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

oh yes, i have the gravel all set out, the main tank has large river rocks. The turtles are about 2-3 inches from head end of the shell, to the tail end of the shell. Isn't that called carapace length? idk, lol The critter keeper, well, if you go to petsmart.com go to the lee's critter keeper on the reptile section, and it's the largest size. About the size of a large shoebox. I am kinda unsure wether i should use heat at all. If it would be less stressful, i can do it. But, if it's going to heat up the water too much, then i'll not use it.

Tell me wut u think.

4. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

If at all possible I'd bring their heat lamp. Just so they have some light and heat. Other than that they should be just fine for a few hours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.