This Disappears When Logged In

Tragic Death of innocent creature.

Discussion in 'Herp Awareness' started by geckoguy14, May 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

I am sooo mad right now, ok so i was at my grandma's house this afternoon cuz she always cooks for the family on sundays. After we finished eating my sister took all of the leftovers and was going to throw them out into the woods. Well, two seconds later my sister runs back to the house screaming SNAKE SNAKE SNAKE!!!!!! so i was like WHERE?!? she was histericle. Immediatly the whole family ran for the garden hoe and the shovel so they could kill it. IT WAS A HARMLESS RAT SNAKE! omg and they killed it. I started begging and screaming for them not to kill it and to let me just take it somewhere else. But they said OH IT'S GOING TO BITE THE BABIES AND IT'S GOING TO KILL US ALL. it just wanted to get away. So my mom started to yell at me and made me go home. OMG i got sooo mad. And then i found out that they killed it. This was it's home first! and it's not like killing that snake will do any good either. Just b/c you saw that snake doesn't mean that there are not thousands of others that you can't see! MY MOM WAS ****ED! but so was I. sry i had to tell ya'll that story, it makes me so mad that people could be so ignorant about these kinds of things.

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Adam, i am sorry you had to witness this tragic event. Thats what happens are not educated about reptiles.

3. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

i went tried to find the body, a burial was the least i could do. I couldn't find it, which probably means that it didn't die right off from the chopped off head so it's body wriggled away. This burns me up more than anything. :(

4. Paleosuchus

Paleosuchus Established Member

Yep, This kind of incident happens often being many people are uneducated about reptiles in general. If the head was chopped off clean the body would not have moved but a foot not even unless on a hill etc.. I have seen burms here that have had a pistols emptied in them and they took off in the brush and i am sure would have done fine if any major organs were not hit. Snakes are tough and it takes allot to kill them ( quickly). I am sorry aswell that you had to be put in this situation and see this event.
    -Jason

5. Herpmom

Herpmom Elite Member

Adam, I'm sorry you had to witness such a horrific event. But rather than to dwell in anger.....put together a presentation (a slideshow that can be played via dvd, or a project board) so you can educate your family in a possitive way, at your next family gathering. It's a true fact that people fear most what they don't know.....so make this your mission.....TEACH them.

6. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Great advice, Herpmom!!!
    Geckoguy: Although it may seem that some people will "never learn", you can still try and maybe something will seep in.
    I totally share your infuriated frustration. You have every right to be angry. But Herpmom is right, turn it around and make something positive out of it for your family, school whatever... it's something you can do for the snakes that have been lucky enough to avoid your relatives' property so far!

7. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I like Herpmom's idea, I once got called to remove a snake from a shopping center parking lot, a woman was running around screaming "It's a copperhead" over and over. After catching the 6 foot Rat snake I stood in the parking lot and explained to everyone about snakes and what their best course of action was. Leave it alone or call someone who can remove it safely. How many of those people actually listened? Well if I got through to just one, it was a good day.

8. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Well done and well said Jay. And great advice Herpmom,. Adam why don't you try that? Sorry your family had to take such silly and drastic action, but try and teach them rather than just stay mad at them. Hopefully they will learn that most snakes are harmless (and even the dangerous ones don't just kill people for no reason), and will learn to respect life. Good luck.

9. Herpmom

Herpmom Elite Member

**blushes**....lol

I agree with Rachel....well done Jay!

I really think....that once people understand animals are more afraid of them and that they can call someone if they really aren't comfortable, they would be less likely to react with such haste.

Adam, show your family, your knowledge and that you could be the go to guy. I want to stress though...know your limits!! If it's a herp outside your expertise (aka: venomous) do your research and have someone lined up for just that situation.

10. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

exactly. I really can only identify the garters, copperhead, cottonmouths, eastern diamondbacks, corals, kings, and rat snakes around here. I was begging for them to just let me have a 5-gallon bucket and a shovel. I could have coazed it into the bucket and took it to the end of the woods BUT NOOOOOOOO they had to kill it.

I think a presentation is a good idea, but my family believes in killing snakes just as much as i believe in leaving them be. Plus, my mom threatened to give away all of my herps if i speak about it anymore. It's a battle that will NEVER be won but i think once they realize that i am NOT stupid when it comes to reptiles, it will eventually work up to the point to where they call me when there is a snake and NOT kill it first.

Keep your fingers crossed. and thanks for the support.

11. deltro_star

deltro_star Elite Member

Good Luck Adam Youre a good Kid and youre head and heart are both in the right place unfortunatley its human nature to fear what we dont understand and youre Mom is probably acting that way because its hard for her to listen to her 15 year old son speak so passionatley about something like life and respect for nature. What you need to do is exactly what everyone,said educate them and show them how mature and intelligent we all know you are! Then youd be suprised at how much they would listen then.

12. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

When I talk to the children I use the analogy of "If we didn't have snakes on Our planet we would be knee deep in rodents", snakes are more beneficial than people want to believe.

13. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Adam,I'm so sorry that you had to experience this!
    You should show your mum this website,and let her see how many people love reptiles and specially show her Jay's website and what he does at schools!!
    Maybe she will eventually see that she and your family are in the wrong!
    All the best to you and I do hope that it will never come to this,your mom taking away your reptiles!!

14. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Thanks Jacky. I find that adults are much harder to talk to then kids about this subject. They seem to have watched too many bad movies where the snake is the bad guy. Just explain it the best you can, some people will listen, some will not. Whatever you do don't critisize or argue, that only strengthens their reluctance to accept snakes for what they are. Shy creatures who control the worlds rodent population.

15. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

thanks for the replies everyone. The news has spread all over the family property. I AM A "VEGAN ANIMAL LOVER" or whatever they call it lol. anyways. Even my adult cousin who wasn't there knew about it and gave me a lecture about 'WHAT IF IT HAD BITTEN ONE OF THE BABIES?!?' and stuff and i was like whatever. It will take a loooooooong time to get them suaded if at all. but thanks for the ideas and support.

jay,
    that is EXACTLY what told my family when they asked "WELL WHAT GOOD ARE SNAKES ANYWAYS? THEY SHOULD ALL BE DEAD" and i said, "without snakes, the rats would be so overpopulated that mosquitoes would no longer be the primary concern". But do they listen? NOOOOOOOO

16. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Adam, believe me I know how hard it is, but you can't let yourself get upset, this just empowers the people who are "misinformed". Take a deep breath and try again on another day.

17. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

thank you jay, but i really do think this is a lost cause. I will always keep trying though. Little things here and there. But whenever someone says something about snakes and my mom hears me start to say something in their favor, she gets all mad and tells me to "hush up about the snakes" and someone else says "the only good snake is a dead one". They feel just as strongly that every snake should die, as i do in thinking that they all should be given another chance.

I am not one to argue usually but this really ticks me off. But i dare not speak a word about it again, grounding and loss of my herps could be a consequence.

But i gaurantee you, that the next time someone sees a snake, i'll run straight for the bucket and the shovel. Before anyone has a chance to say otherwise, i'll be off finding a new spot to set if free. But i hope to God that i see it first.

18. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Adam, I have an uncle like that, his favorite phrase is "Shoot it", So I just take the children and explain everything to them. In the long run it's more rewarding personally to work with kids.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.