This Disappears When Logged In

Tough Decision :(

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by annaj328, Feb 17, 2012.

1. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

So. I have a jungle carpet python named Maji. She is 2 years old and she is beautiful and perfectly healthy and a great eater. The only problem is she is a little less than tame. And being that I work 2 jobs and have a full course load with an online vet tech program; i don't have a lot of time for any of my animals, let alone the ones that I have become afraid of.

And that is the real problem, I have developed a phobia of my pet. I don't know how it happened, I used to be bullet proof, I have been bit plenty of times by various snakes and it never really bothered me. Then I moved her into a larger cage and at the same time started job hunting and my life just got hectic and I didn't hold her much. And now I start to shake every time I open her cage to just take her out and feed her; which I do w/ a hook. I don't know what's wrong with me, I'm a pretty high strung person and my life is extremely hectic and stressful right now and it may be that I'm just transferring that stress to her for some reason; cuz when i think about it shes not that bad. It has also interfered with my relationship with my ball python who has never bit me ever but suddenly even she makes me nervous. Can people develop phobias in adulthood?

I have been thinking that maybe I should find her a new home because I have been struggling with this for months and I have not been able to work up the courage to take her out and hold her in months and months. It breaks my heart and I feel like I failed. I have always believed that any pet I get will be mine for its entire life. But recently I have come to the realization that maybe I (with my nervous disposition) am simply not cut out for this snake. I thought I could handle it and for the first year of her life it was fine. This isn't a rational fear so I don't know how to fix it. Honestly I don't have time to work with her any way. I'm thinking I should get her into a good home and then maybe when my life is more stable and less stressful I will try again with carpet pythons because I really do love them.

I'm torn. Should I give her away? Has anyone had this really weird problem before? How do I fix it (me really, not her)?

Thanks guys, really more than anything I just needed to vent.
    ok I was going to post a picture of her but i cant seem to figure it out...anyway, thanks for listening to my story.

2. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

oh and if I do sell her, what is a fair price for a healthy 4.5ft 2yr old jcp? I would like to offer a fairly low price so I can be extra picky with any perspective owners.

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Ultimately it has to be your decision, do you feel like you can get over this new fear? Do you see yourself handeling her in a manner thats safe and comfortable for you as well as her? If not then rehoming will probably be whats best for both of you. I guess being stressed can cause a fear to surface or manifest itself, even though it wasn't there before.

4. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

You could check out fauna classifieds for prices and figure out what's fair... As for everything else, in the end I would say it's what's best for you and the snake. I'm no way saying that you don't care for it. I'm saying if it's causing you this much stress and you can't overcome your fears then it may not be fair to her either. Snakes obviously don't need friends or emotional connections like say dogs, but at times they do need help for one reason or another in captivity. You have to be able to handle the animal without fear or you will be more likely to make a mistake and get tagged. Respect is one thing, fear is another. If you think it's best for her to have a new home then there's nothing wrong with that. You're doing the better thing for the animal. You didn't fail because it takes a stronger person to admit they have limitations and a resposible one to do what's in the best interest of the one that can't decide for itself. My two cents..

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

So sorry Joey, to hear about this fear that you have developed :( What about talking to someone about it, is there a breeder in your area that could help you out.

I hope everything works out for you, no matter what decision you make.

6. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

JoeyG (good name by the way :)) I really appreciate your comment, it made me feel a lot better. I appreciate all of yalls support, thats why i love this forum! I really think that getting Maji into a new home will be better for me and for her. If I had more time to work on this and pay attention to her I would probably keep her (might not have a reason to get rid of her in the first place!) but with 30+ hours of work a week and a full load of online classes I dont have a whole lot of time for any of my animals and it might be best for all of them if I lighten my load.

Im thinking that $100 might be a good price starting point. Its basically what I paid for her when she was 4 months old and its low enough that I can be picky with who I chose to be her new owner. When my life is more settled I think I will definately try carpet pythons again but I might pick a sub species that is not quite so feisty haha.

7. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

As we get older we develop a health respect for things that can cause pain and injury. As you stated you have lapsed into letting your pets get "wild" due to your stress and laps in attention. Yes your stress can be projected and they can pick up on it.

When I discovered my issues with big snakes (10'+) it was over a breeding pair of albino burms I was taking care of at a shop I worked for. I was getting ready to clean the cage, about to remove the snakes both being 14' long. Something in the manerisms of the male made me stop. These 2 snakes have never showed any aggression ever, and didn't really show the typical problems you would expect from an agressive stance. Yet something really bothered me about this time, so I requested a hand or two (usually a solo job) to keep things safe. That cleaning went ok with the extra help but I could tell my feelings had changed somehow. I never worried about getting bit before and had been enough times to be collected enough to handle it. And still have no issues with the smallers ones today. A week later (next cleaning) the other Herp tech was bit 3 times in the chest and abdomin by the male with no warning. 27 stiches and he was lucky, if his neck was bit he may not have made it.

This is not a story to scare anyone off big snakes. It's to show you that people change over their life times as to what they are ok with, I was no longer ok with risking long term injery or death for a chance to play with a big snake. My daughter was 2 years old now and I was starting to feel like a father. My situation is mine alone and I do not suggest that anyone elses happyness is in anyway connected to my choices. I'm happy with my choice of keeping to a 6' rule and have no trouble with others going for the big ones, I rather like the big guys, just not for me anymore.

You have to choose what direction you want this current situation to go. Myself, I went 10 years without any reptiles. Yes I missed them dearly but I knew my life was to crazy to spend the time needed to keep us all happy and healthy, but that was my choise and eveyone else needs to decide their own path when that time comes.