This Disappears When Logged In

Totally confused about lighting

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by Toadie78, Dec 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

Im going to start building a custom tank for my fire skink Togo and am very confused about UV lighting and what would be best for him.

Here are the bulbs that im lookin at as possibilities:

Power Sun UVA/UVB Bulb: would provide a triple function but is also the most expensive but may be the best choice as i already have a clamp lamp that can handle it but how to mount it appropriately in the custom tank.

Zoomed ReptiSun 5.0: would need new fixture and then an additional heat source

These are locally available to me and would be the easiest to acquire.

but im open to suggestions, and lighting options for custom enclosures

the tank is going to be 48x18x18 and made of polycarbonate (plastic) and will basically look like this when its complete but will be made of plastic and then painted with acrylic paint: http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/3x2_cage.jpg

2. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

or i think i may go in a totally different direction:
    a UTH, Thermostat, and a ESU Slimline UV fixture w/ included bulb

3. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I assume the powersun is a MV? I think the first is your best option. The second will also work, but it will be more expensive in the long run, and keep in mind a fluorescent UVB light needs to be closer than 12 inches from the reptile to even be effective. That last one could also work, but I'd double check the UVB output of the ESU. I remember a lot of the bulbs they make don't even make enough for most reptiles.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The powersun is a mercury vapor and you will need a porcelin/ceramic clamp light to hold it. It also puts out a lot of heat. A regular plastic clamp lamp will most likely melt. If you are looking into a Merc may I advise you to checkout
    the Reptile UV link on our homepage. These are the state of the art in mercs and are available in styles that do or do not produce heat and they will work with you to get the best light for your particular application.
    If you go with the flourescents I would recomment the Zoomed ReptiSun 5.0. Tried and proven over the years. Go with the 48 inch tubes so they reach from one end of the tank to the other. I would use 2 in a regular shoplight fixture from Lowes/Home Depot. Much cheaper than the pet store fixtures. As long as there are basking ledges to get the lizard up close to the tubes (less thatn 12 inches) these will work fine.
    The ESU unit is not really suitable. It is too small.

5. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

Well Thanks guys.

As a reply i do have all my fixtures are porcelin and the only one thats is rated to take 150 watts is the ZooMed one that i have.

As for the powersun i been doing a bit of research and it says should be used with a 55 gallon or larger enclosure?

I would love to be able to go with the Reptile UV thing but i would need to find out if they would take a money order n stuff. I would just need to figure out which night bulb would be best also cuz that was the problem i was running into earlier it was just to cold for him. The main reason i was lookin at the ESU fixture was because of its sleekness and since the enclosure im going to be making is going to be pretty much totally clear how things look is a factor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.