This Disappears When Logged In

Tortoise Trust Building

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Snatantula, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Snatantula

Snatantula Banned User

I just recieved a russian tortoise from a gentlemen that has a daughter going to college and didnt want it any more. She is 12 and looks great but hisses and tucks everytime she sees me. Can any 1 point me in the rite direction to start earning her trust. Ive been wanting 1 of these guys for a long time and Iam experienced and have been prepared for 1 too. She has a basking spot at 89 coolside has a red light to keep it at 75ish and at night about 68 room temp. She is wandering, eating, drinking and pooping. Ill bath her every other day.

2. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

Just carry on with you're normal routine and show the animal you're not a predator and going to eat it, and with a little time it will become more comfortable with you. Do you have a UV bulb for it?

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

You shouldn't handle her everyday if you can help it. Leave a bowl of water large enough for her to be in completely but shallow enough that she won't drown if she flips over in it-a plant pot saucer thing worms really well. Then bath her maybe 2-3 times a week for about 15-20 minutes and make sure the water stays warm.
    Other than that tortoises aren't the type of pet that you can take down and handle frequently. Over a few years they will get used to your presence and might follow you around. But it takes years to get that far as these aren't social creatures at all. If you can find a favorite treat to hand feed him it will speed things along a bit.

4. Vers

Vers Elite Member

If you're interested, while this may not pertain directly to your query, check out the Tortoise Trust website for some great info. Good luck!

5. Snatantula

Snatantula Banned User

yes I do have uvb and uva I have a 40 watt halogen next to a reptiglo 2.0 and a red heat on the opposite side 40 watt. I'm also using repto cal with d3

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Is the reptiglo one of the small coil bulb?

7. Snatantula

Snatantula Banned User

Yes 13 watt

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

The coil bulbs are known for damaging a tortoises eyes and besides that it isn't strong enough. It's best to use either a mercury vapor bulb or a long fluorescent fixture that is at least a 10.0 or 12% high output.

9. Snatantula

Snatantula Banned User

Ill change it tomarrow.

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Thank you! So what's the Russians name?

11. Snatantula

Snatantula Banned User

Dont know yet but I do know its not going to be shelldon. Pretty sure she a girl too ill try to post pics tomarrow

12. activelydying

activelydying Well-Known Member

And another thing i didnt know. I use a zoomed uvb light in my enclosure. Thanks for the info.

13. Vers

Vers Elite Member

This, while true, is not the primary reason you should avoid most compact fluorescent UVB bulbs. In fact, back when it was found that certain compact fluorescent bulbs caused photo-kerato-conjuctivitis (PKC for short), some linear fluorescent bulbs were also flagged. This issue (PKC) is/was not limited to CFL bulbs. In any case, these bulbs should be generally avoided due to their poor design, which creates a very steep, very narrow UVI gradient and generally weak UVB output at safe distances. You can see this here.