This Disappears When Logged In

Tortoise Shell??

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Reptiles02, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Reptiles02

Reptiles02 Member

What is the best product to use for their shell to keep it shiny, I often use olive oil is that safe for them? Let me know

2. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

I use vita shell on my Greek

3. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

did you ever think about turtle wax??? lol sorry i had to that was to easy.

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I was thinking the same thing!! LOL!

Do you have to put stuff on their shells? I only have ever had a red ear slidder and of course she was aquatic. So her shell always looked shiny :)

What about mineral oil? That would be safe, I have used it to help my beardies shed their toes and tail tips when I first got them.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I just got a desert tort that has had vista shell put on for his entire life and his shell is dark black and shiny/waxy looking which isn't healthy as its supposed to be a very dull light brown. I wouldn't use vita shell regularly on any of my torts. Mineral or olive oil would be ok b the best thing to do is just give him a bath.

6. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I don't think you should be putting anything on his shell unless he needs it (for medical reasons) oil can mess up whatever is happening naturally on his shell.

7. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I was wondering that too, I wonder if it would interfere with the sheding of the scutes. Maybe if you had issues with retained scutes? But then that would be a diet/UVB issue not a dye shell issue.

Why does his shell have to be shiny? I bet he is beautiful just the way he is.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would also advise not to put anything on the shell. Turtle shells have pores and breath, just like skin.

When I was a kid there would be a dishpan of baby turtles in every pet shp or department store. Some of them were left natural and some of them had had their shells painted in funky colors.
    The painted ones didn't live very long.

9. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Thats terrible!
    In Florida I saw a guy selling inch long sliders in water filled kritter catchers saying they'd stay as small as the cage they were kept in.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A common lie!

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

We get roadside turtle sellers that say they will easily live their entire life in a fish bowl. And strangely enough it's true...course their life span is much much shorter...

12. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

I believe he was selling fish flakes as food too!

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Odd thing is that some high quality fish food is great for hatchling boxies.

14. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Really? He was selling huge containers of flakes, saying they would be a fine choice from hatchling size to adulthood.