This Disappears When Logged In

Tortoise for the Family

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by jaydsr2887, Jun 2, 2014.

1. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

well, my daughter keeps asking to get a tortoise..... so im wondering, as i have for about 1-2 years researching sulcatas as i want to get one myself...... and i know the care they require and i know i can afford the grass hay and i have a room to keep him in in my basement as it is level with my yard so he will have access to go out door when the temps are right.....and i have light fixtures and everything... the only thing i will have to build if i get a baby is i will need to make a turtle table (is there any special requirements to make these?).... and is this a good tortoise to be around children? or should i research another species? I know the special diets to prevent the pyramiding of the shell as it need high protein diets of dry grasses and stuff and know they need a watering hole to wallow in and drink from and stuff......

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would suggest a red foot over a sulcata. The redfoots are colorful and do not get NEARLY as big as a sulcata. One of our local stores had one as the store pet and it just wandered the store. I don't think that you could have made that tort bite!

3. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

but do you think if i did get the sulcata it could get aggressive or anything? because thats one of the reasons i would like to get the sulcata is the size, i mean we have the room and yard for it.....

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I mentioned this in another thread, but look into leopard tortoises. Still get to an impressive size, but much more manageable, and the care is similar. And if your going to do it, just build the room and skip the table. Scatter a few hides in the room if needed.

5. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

but dont smaller tortoises need a bit closer to the UVB light then the adults? hense the table?

6. Merlin

You mentioned children. A 150 lb tortoise is going to be dangerous around kids just due to the size.

7. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

so what kind would you recommend being a bigger species? i want one that we can take if we go camping and stuff.....

8. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

As for the UV lights being close enough to the tort, just lower them. I use an MVB for mine and just set it to the proper height, and it fills the role of basking and providing UV nicely. And while I don't disagree with what Merlin said, I wouldn't worry too much, if you get a hatchling your kid will be in college before it reaches a hundred pounds. Of course then grandchildren could be an issue. And I would be very leery of taking one camping, with the ground my little 8" sulcatta covers in a couple minutes, she would be utterly unfindable if I got distracted while making lunch or something.

9. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

oh ok.... i have a collapsable pin my uncle had for his russian he used to take while he drove truck with steel weights on the bottom.... would that be good for a leopard tort?

10. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I would think it would be fine until the tort simply outgrows it.

11. Merlin

Another thing with regard to camping is you would have to worry about theft. Some people will steal anything!

12. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Oh crap, that never even occurred to me but your right.

13. Merlin

We had a large, heavy icechest sitting right against our tent where we were sleeping and it wandered away.

14. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

whats the common adult size of a leopard tort? oh ok, lol never occured to me merlin lol......