This Disappears When Logged In

Tortoise for the Ages

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Swimmer522, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Poison

Poison Elite Member

im not sure if you read this part ("but I believe neither is harmful as long as the tortoise is well-hydrated") but im not saying that that exercise and diet doesn't play a role in pyramiding but as both threads say hydration plays the biggest role in it.

2. justor

justor Elite Member

Just wanted to poke my head in here and say that you should never feed a sulcata animal proteins. Ever. Even the smallest amounts of animal protein can cause irreparable damage to the kidneys and other organs, AND can cause excellerated growth when fed regularly which can in fact contribute to pyramiding (although it is my opinion that lack of hydration is the main cause). fruits and other sugary foods can also cause major damage to internal organs, particularly the digestive system, and can also contribute to pyramiding. Diet should be dry, high-fiber grasses and weeds. Plain and simple.

3. Swimmer522

Swimmer522 Elite Member

By grasses and weeds what do you mean? Like collard greens, dandilion greens, kale? Or do you mean something else?

4. Poison

Poison Elite Member

yard grass and theres other grasses that you can buy seed for.as long as theres no chemicals in it and feed dark greens and cactus pads

5. justor

justor Elite Member

Greens like collards and such can be offered occasionally, but it should mostly be dry grasses like hay (Orchard grass hay, and burmuda hay are the best types if I remember correctly). Basically any type of grass grown in your yard is fine as well. Clovers, dandelions, spineless cactus pads, various flowers, and Mazuri tortoise diet are all good food items. The key is keeping it diverse.