This Disappears When Logged In

Toothless! :)

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Logan, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Logan

Logan Elite Member

So, quick little update. Some of his leg bone grew back and there's actually more sticking out now than there ever was. Time for him to get it clipped back again. He's doing great! I got two nice face shots of him today to show his pretty colors. I'm still thinking male for him ... and he better be. I'm kind of stuck on calling him HIM. Haha. Anyways, the pictures!

toothless_zps5e976d72.jpg

toothless2_zps9ed43451.jpg

Attached Files:

2. zippy2013

zippy2013 Subscribed User Premium Member

he looks very serious in that picture. almost like he wants to say something!
    what a cute little guy@

3. Lindsay

Lindsay Member

How adorable :)

4. AParkin

AParkin Elite Member

I haven't been here very long, what's the back story on his leg? He's a lovely young dragon. How old is he?

5. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Toothless came to us in November when my gfs dad went to Petsmart to get food for his dragon. He ended up picking up a 2nd dragon for himself and one of the guys that works there told him they had a 3 legged one in the back that they couldn't sell and if no one took him soon he'd be put down. They swore up and down to him that he had been born that way, but there was an obviously healed injury above where the elbow joint would have been.. I'm still nervous about his climbing and swimming abilities, but we are gradually going higher and giving deeper water. the one time we put him in deep open water to swim as a baby he couldn't keep himself rightside up, so he will probablt always have floating plants in his pond for safety sake. haha.

6. Logan

Logan Elite Member

I should probably note at this time that we now also have the 2nd dragon he got for himself. We took her after he finally admitted she hadn't grown, was brown, and hadn't shed since he had her. We ended up taking her to the vet, getting antifungal cream, antibacterial soak, dewormer, and baytril for her. Her shed FINALLY came off. She did lose two fingers and her hands still don't look that great. Kind of mangledish looking. She has shed once since then, so she's healthy. I'm hoping that as she sheds and grows more her fingers will start to look better.

7. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Well, no need to go to the vet to have that bone clipped. It came off today when I had him out to sun on my bed. He wiggled, and it just flopped off. Guess I now have the answer as to if clipping it hurts him at all. Haha. I still can't get over how much he's grown. I don't really notice a difference until I compare him side by side with old photos. I can't wait until he's a big monster! Well, not a monster, but big!!!

8. AParkin

AParkin Elite Member

Wow! That's quite a history for such a little guy. I'm glad he is doing so well. :)

9. Logan

Logan Elite Member

I actually just finished rearranging him and giving him a pond with about twice the water capacity. I just hope he's good enough now that he doesn't just let himself roll over. I'm pretty sure it's still shallow enough that he could touch with his back feet and lift his head up. He still has the branches and ivy in this one so he can grab something if he does start to roll. And, thiiis one has a heater. :)

He hasn't had it as bad as some of them out there. I just worry about him swimming and climbing. Not so much the climbing now, because, if he can balance himself on a tiny little piece of fake ivy, he can climb. Which means, after I see how he does with this new pond, we start the real set up FINALLY!

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

You still need to post pics of his set up...and how's the little girl you got from your girlfriends father?

11. Logan

Logan Elite Member

She's good. She's shed once after all of that came off. Lost a piece of two fingers. Some of the others still look awkward, but, she has full use of them and I'm hoping they look better after she sheds again. Not much has actually changed with his set up. I just switched the pond from one side to the other tonight and gave him a bigger one. Obviously, he needs more space. I'm just a chicken about it because I don't want him to end up hurt. He's probably completely capable of living life like a regular dragon, I'm just chicken.

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Too true...tai still has all four limbs but I am thinking of ways to make his cage handicapable so he doesn't injure himself again...couldn't imagine what I would do if he lost a leg... Probably make a shoret cage on my ceiling so he thinks he is high up but he can't fall off anything...

13. Logan

Logan Elite Member

LOL! Don't tempt me. I keep thinking of ways to make things safe for him, but still make him feel like a fully capable lizard. I mean, he can balance just fine on thin vines. Which, by the way, the suction cups did finally pop off. The vine stayed propped up some how though, so he was still capable of getting to his normal sitting spot. I've noticed since it's technically become 'summer' around here, he's definitely more active. I've caught him on his basking rock more times in the last 2 weeks than I have in months, a long with chilling at least partially in his small pond. After I rearranged and gave him almost double the amount of water, in a pond taller, longer, and wider than the last, he's hanging out right by that now too. His humidity was a little high at 83% just a few minutes ago, so I maaaay have over watered his dirt ...

14. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Also, I ordered some calci-worms, which both of them like, but, the packaging said to leave them in the tiny plastic container, not to refrigerate and no need to feed them ... I'm kind of confused by that. I'm assuming I SHOULD be feeding them? Even though I've seen them blacken and molt even with out feeding them.

15. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

No need to feed the worms. They eat the bedding. All you have to do is make sure the bedding stays damp.

16. Logan

Logan Elite Member

I keep spraying them ever couple days. The sprayers we bought for the lizards are the tiny little travel ones from walmart. I never upgraded because I like the reeeally fine mist they produce. lol

17. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Well, he definitely approves of the new pond. It wasn't but a couple hours and he had obviously been in it. I say obviously, because he soaked the thermometer on the way out. I mean SOAKED. I thought it had stopped working, but YAY for blow dryers. I've caught him hanging out by it, and he slept last night balanced right on the edge of the bin used for it. Not to mention, his blue is bluier and his green is greenier!

18. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Well ... I don't think I have to worry about his climbing skills ... since he escaped and I found him on the highest shelf in the closet ....

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Ah! Well I guess this means its time to start his big boy enclosure!

20. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Most definitely ... we're relocating next week due to a work transfer. We'll be staying in a spare bedroom until we can find an apartment, which is fine. it shouldn't be more than a week. Transfer processed a lot quicker than it normally does .. as in, found out last week. haha. its fine, we aren't in a lease. the place we're staying is no pets, so my parents are watching the dog and the rabbits and a friend is watching the rats and ferrets. Lizards cone with just because .. well, I'm not letting some one babysit themmm.