This Disappears When Logged In

Too Soon to Feed?

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by AjaMichelle, Aug 22, 2012.

1. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Hey

I have a Burmese python and I want to put some weight on him (for those who haven't seen my other threads). I fed him a 7 to 8 pound rabbit on Friday night. The lump is gone and he's pooped.

I'm having more rabbits delivered today and am wondering if it's too soon to feed again. I prefer to feed pre-killed over F/T and the rabbits I'm getting today will be pre-killed. I can't leave one out until I was planning to feed (Monday- 10 days since last feed). I would prefer not to freeze it then have to thaw it for Monday but will if you all think it's too soon to feed.

These bunnies are about 5 pounds.

Thanks!

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

My 14ft'r ate 1 goat a week or about 8 med/lg rabbits, yours is 8'-10' if I remember correctly, so 2 lg rabbits a week should be fine.

My experience was with a rather old wild caught burm that had a head twice the size as I see them nowdays so she had little trouble with small goats that I was able to cull from a breeder :) kept costs down :)

3. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

ok why is L.G. (large) getting converted in Leopard Gecko ? lol

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Of course I have no experiance at all with burms lol! But my skinny ball python I fed him every 5 days to put some weight on him.

You could always see if he'll take it :)

5. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I want a Leopard gecko rabbit!!
    :)
    Holy smokes a goat??

6. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

She was just over 32" in diamiter, she was HUGE and I was young and immortal carrying her around solo for a year or so. She was a very docile snake I never had a problem with her, short of breaking the bank to feed her lol my 17ft retic didn't eat a quarter of what rosie could put away and not show it lol but that was 30 years ago, and I'm no longer an immortal youth LOL I like my critter on the small side now :)

7. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

He's 15 feet. :) other people have told me that I should be feeding only every few weeks. I don't understand why feeding so soon again would be a problem. Can someone shed light on this for me?

I understand why constant digestion is not good for snakes but it would only be for a short period. And he's only been eating for about ten months of the last two years.

What happened to your snake DC? Where'd you get the goats?

8. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Lol! I figured it was something like that. :) I've also discovered that w t f is translated into whites tree frog haha :)

9. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I was wondering, lol , I thought he meant 2 leopard geckos and a bunny! :)

10. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I was thinking what did geckos have to do with feeding burms :) I can't see how feeding if he's hungry could hurt one time. After all he's a big boy!

11. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

leopard gecko rabbit? sign me up. cute and cool :D

12. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

My 2 cents. Snakes are opportunist eaters in the wild. They eat what they find. The could eat a nice big meal then 3-4 days later if something tasty crosses their path they take it and eat it. They don't know when the next meal will be. My lovley mice decided to kill on of their fuzzies last night so instead of tossing it in the freezer I gave it to one of my corns. They where fed Sunday, so it's only been a couple days. I do this all the time. Last week one mouse had a tumor, so I stunned her and tossed her in with Desmond the bp. He was in blue but he didn't care lol.

So an extra meal here and there will not hurt them. If he needs to bulk up I'd feed him maybe every 7-10 days, of course I am use to snakes with faster metabilism. I am sure things will change when my Boa arrives :)

13. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

After a couple years and a bit of sanity :p I took up an offer from a breeder that I knew from one of the pet shops I worked with. I traded her for smaller snakes, both Rosy the Burn and my Retic for some asian rat snakes. Rosy's first clutch was around 55 eggs and I was offered the best of the lot but I was down sizing by that time and sticking to a 10' length issue :p

I lived down the way from a lady that raised goats for milk and she was getting into rabbits for their fur. I would get calls for "culls" that she didn't want to deal with and I could just come up and collect them for her. We did odd jobs for each other and it all worked out very well :) Saved a ton of cash out of pocket thats for sure LOL but not so much on the sweating buckets part :p

14. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

So I decided to feed him. :) he's eating it with no problems (no surprise there). :) he actually struck at it!!! He never strikes his food.

This rabbit was FRESH!!!

B40829DC-6A7D-4D8D-99DA-98116FC3CA9A-890-000000C445C0270B.jpg

Attached Files:

15. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

...and he's done!

75043CFD-A617-4506-B353-35AC1D876437-890-000000C7F2708FAD.jpg

Attached Files:

16. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

His color is just amazing!! He must have been hungry :)

17. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

He was!!! I'm kind of afraid he's grown in length recently because he lost some weight. :/

I need to measure him.

Thanks for the color compliment! :)

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

ok so I dont really have anything intelligent to add but here is something fun:

Leopard Gecko Bunny:
    Leopard Gecko Bunny pictures by 11Tiamat13 - Photobucket

Sorry not the best work but i had to finish it between grading tests. He looks like a rapid bat gecko...I will try to do a better one.

19. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

see nothing to it :) I'm sure he'll be sleeping those 2 of for a while