This Disappears When Logged In

Too much humidity?

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by Ssativa, Oct 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Your problem is most likely caused by the baby oil accident. Oil can have an effect on many layers of the skin and it probaby just dried out his scales in various places which is causing excessive shedding peeling.
    I would not worry about it too much. You could try wrapping him up completely in a warm, damp bath towel or two (not soaking wet, just damp) and putting him into the empty bathtub or kiddie pool. The process of working himself out of the towels will help rub off some of the old scales. You might have to try it a few times... it can't hurt him.

Basically, try not to worry too much. If he's active and eating well and the temps are Ok, he'll probably get back to a normal shed cycle in a few months.

Good luck and keep us posted.

2. Ssativa

Ssativa Subscribed User Premium Member

Thank You
    If I could give you a big hug I would right now but your like on the other side of the world so a thank you will have to do. I have been so worried.

I have been waiting someone to make the direct connection between the oil incident and the problem. I kind of knew in the back of my mind but I just needed someone to confirm it I guess.

I am so relieved because I would be helpless if this ends up requiring a vet visit for some antifungal treatment or something. I will keep watching him closely and I will keep you posted. He is shedding his eye caps normally so eating is not an issue. However, I've been financially affected by hurricane Wilma, and it is Dubious's time to eat and I've got no cash. I do, however have three mice that I used in a personal experiment with gerbils and how they will adopt as their own newborn babies that are of a different species even. I won't get into that now-it's a bit off topic.

The question I have is, being used to eating large rats, do you think Dubious will have trouble constricting the mice since they are so small?
    If not that should hold him over until I get paid. Plus, the mice are stinky and not as cool as the gerbils, so I would eliminate two problems in one. What do you think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.