This Disappears When Logged In

Too much humidity?

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by Ssativa, Oct 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ssativa

Ssativa Subscribed User Premium Member

My Burmese Python, Dubious, is having a really hard time shedding. It is like he never stops shedding and it comes off one scale at a time rather than all in one big piece. He has a filtered pool in his enclosure for him to swim in and judging by the wet fog on the glass most of the time, I doubt that lack of humidity is the problem. He has been on the constant shed for almost 3 weeks now. He still eats but I can tell that he is uncomfortable. His scales feel like plastic and even make a crackling sound at times. I don't know what could be the problem here. Do you think this type of problem could be caused by too much humidity? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

do you have a humidity guage ?

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

ok, after a little research, the most common attributes to an adhered shed are:
    1. Ambient temp too high
    2. humidity too low
    3. stress related to excessive handling, loud noises, overcrowding, vibrations
    4. malnutrition
    5. dermatitis
    6. systematic disorders
    7. hyperthyroidism
    8. hypothyroidism

4. Ssativa

No, I do not have a humidity gauge. I am considering looking into a new home for my most dearest reptile because I have come to the unfortunate realization that if he needs a vet, I will not be able to afford it. I think that maybe he does not have adequate lighting. the plexiglass of his enclosure is half an inch thick so I doubt enough light comes through. If it is malnutrition, then it may have to do with the nutritional value of the feeders I get for him. I plan on trying to order some frozen rats online because the pet store rodents are gross and probably not healthy. I am really low on cash right now and accommodating a 7 ft. Burmese is not a light responsibility. AAAAAh.

5. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

How's your temps ?
    I would think 1 and 2 above are the most likely if you've not encountered this before.

6. Ssativa

It could be number 1. Dubious lives outside, in S. Florida and I also have a UTH under the water section. I will turn off the heater and see if that helps. Number 1 would be the easiest problem to correct. I am concerned that it may be dermatitis though. I know that dermatitis is caused by a fungus and I closely inspected the cork that I have in the enclosure out in the sun and I discovered a grayish substance that isn't a natural part of the cork. With a magnifying glass, I can see little white specks throughout the grey. It is either some kind of fungus or mold. Do you know a good bleach to water ratio I should use spray down the cork with?

7. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I wouldn't suggest doing that, the cork will absorb it and all the rinsing in the world will not remove it. we use a 1:10 ratio of bleach/water to clean our tanks and rinse forever til all bleach smell is gone. can you just replace the cork ?

8. Ssativa

No. The cork was really expensive. I can remove the cork and use something else for hiding.

I am now trying to figure out how to disinfect the enclosure. The thing is really heavy and sits about four feet off the ground. It is a challenge to wipe it down even. I have to crawl down inside through a small hole to do it. I can't spray it down because it wouldn't be possible to drain out. I hope to get a more practical enclosure for him soon.

9. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

you got any pics of this enclosure? i'm having trouble getting a mental picture of how hard it is to get inside the thing.

10. Ssativa

11. lee

lee Elite Member

it sounds like a retained shed
    best thing to do is soak your burmese in the bath as the moisture will help you snake and loosen the skin a little and try and get a towel and genty rub the skin area as it will loosen the snake,pay special attention to the head area as retained eyecaps could be quite tricky at times and if left can be quite a risk
    i have no idea how big your burmese is but from your avatar and enclosure size id say it looks quite a big snake so help would be good
    hope the shed comes off for you and all the best
    lee

12. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

Earlier it the thread they said he is 7 ft. long.

Do you have any other pics of the cage? Also, some pics of the actual snake could help.

13. Ssativa

The shape of the enclosure makes it hard to get a good pic. I will try to get pics of Dubious tomorrow. He just ate last night so I like to give him a few days before disturbing him.

This is not a normal retained shed. It all started when I forgot to remove a bottle of baby oil from a rack in my shower where I feed him. After eating he managed to squeeze the stuff all over himself and then he smeared himself around the whole bathroom. It was such an icky and slimy scene. His belly looked a little pink after this so I rushed him to the tub and began rinsing him the best I could. After countless rinses and letting him swim in the kiddy pool, he looked okay, just a bit shinier then normal. I don't know if this accident is what caused the problem, but that is when the problem began. He appears to have old scales protruding under the new scales and they all sort of stick straight up in an unnatural way. I will try to get pics tomorrow to give you all a better idea of what we are dealing with. Thanks for the help and support you guys. ;)

14. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

Ok, maybe after another shed or two things will be normal again. We will be able to give you some better advice when you get some pics.

15. Ssativa

Here they are. I finally got some pics and I got a bunch so I will break them up into several posts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. GAsnakeman

GAsnakeman Elite Member

Sounds to me like the humidity is way to low and that he has been trying to shed the same shed all that time not constantly shedding many sheds. When you said
    that is a classic sign of a dry shed, not b/c it's too damp.
    Get a humidity guage would be the first thing to a soloution. Other than soaking him for now as I believe was previously stated..

17. Ssativa

I don't have a humidity gauge, but I know that it was like a steam room in his enclosure before I removed the UTH from under his water area, which i just recently did in attempt to lower the ambient air temp.

I'm not sure if i mentioned it in this thread, but Dubious' problems all began about one month ago when I overlooked a bottle of baby oil while clearing out the shower for feeding time and he managed to squeeze out approximately two ounces of baby oil onto himself and smear all over the entire shower room. His belly was a little pink when I discovered him so I rushed him to a bathtub where I then rinsed him with cool fresh water for approximately 30 minutes. Despite my efforts, Dubious remained shiny for about a week after the incident and he hasn't had a normal shed since. The incident occurred about one month ago. Could this not be a direct effect from the baby oil incident?

18. Ssativa

[​IMG]

I had Dubious out to get some sun today and then I put him in a tub to soak which he is still soaking in. I am worried about the brownish areas on his belly.

19. Ssativa

Dubious is still trying to shed. I keep him in my shower in his tub of water and each day I let him have some sun while I change his water and dechlorinate it. Not much progress that I can see yet. :(

I don't know if this information is useful in trying to figure out the problem, but immediatly after the exposure to the baby oil, Dubious shed individual scales all over the bathroom. He hasn't had a normal shed since.

20. Dragonden

Dragonden Elite Member

I don't keep snakes so i really can't comment on the shedding problem. but baby oil is just mineral oil ... so unless it had some other additive (scent or other chemicals) I can't really seeing it causing this much of a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.