This Disappears When Logged In

Too Big? Food Question

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by texasreb, Oct 9, 2014.

1. texasreb

texasreb Active Member

· How long have you owned the animal? 2years
    · What is the enclosure size? 40 gallon
    · What type of substrate are you using (shavings, bark, paper towel, etc.)? Aspen shavings changed monthly and spot cleaned
    · What type of lighting are you using and at what distance(s) are they from the animal? (UVB and Basking) Basking only on top of cage
    · What are the temperatures within the enclosure and how are they being measured? 100 on hot side and 76 on cool side
    · What is the humidity within the enclosure and how is it being measured? UNK--I mist when she is about to shed
    · What are you feeding (or attempting to feed) the animal? Small-Medium rats F/T
    · What exactly are you concerned about? Food too large?
    · Please provide images of the animal as well as the enclosure if possible.

Facial.jpg

Hug it up.jpg

lap top snake.jpg

How big is too big of a rat to feed my 13 year old corn snake? I usually get her small rats and feed her about every 10-14 days. Today's small rat was bigger than normal and it took her a while to get it down. Should I have taken it from her? Will she be okay?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If they can swallow it, its ok. If its too big they tend to back off.
    What you want is a feeder about the same size or a touch bigger than the snake's body at its widest point.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I'll second what Merlin said. It may take an extra day to finish digesting, but it should be fine.

4. texasreb

texasreb Active Member

She got it down. She had to wedge it against a forked branch and brace herself against the terrarium walls, but she did it. It was labeled as a small rat but was the large end of small.

Now she's buried under her water bowl (as is her usual). I'll check on her tomorrow to ensure that she is fine. She's a classroom pet and I don't always go in on the weekends to check on my critters, but I'll do it this time. She'll have 4 days of no students to get the digestion process well under way.

She was acting oddly prior to the meal, but not too odd. She sneaked in a surprise shed the day of the feeding which is a bummer because she was held yesterday. I usually don't allow her to be handled if she's in shed mode but this time I missed all of the signs.

Also, she last ate a very small rat on 9/25. She pooped a few days later--which her her normal. She pooped again yesterday, but a much smaller amount--which is not normal for her.

This creature is a constant source of worry for me as she is my first snake and she is older at 13.

As always, thanks for the responses.