This Disappears When Logged In

Tomato Frogs

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Kazooguyz2, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

Some of you may know I have (had) 3. I recently lost one to a terrible accident(?). It was the smaller of the three (assuming male.) THIS MAY BE GRAPHIC: I was sitting at my computer and heard the most horrid screeching noise. I rushed over to find that one of the larger (female ??) had mistaken one of his rear legs as a snack! and was trying to eat him. After several stunned minutes of inaction, he escaped only for me to discover the entire leg was stripped to the bone. I took him IMMEDIATELY to my local vet, Dr. Charles Menhe, only to discover that nothing could be done and he would probably suffer a very painful death. It was so ravaged that some intestines had been exposed. I had no choice but euthanize him. Now for my question: The 2 remaining Tomato frogs are of pretty equal size and never attempted any aggression even during feeding time. Assuming they are female (general size of handball, ~3" SVL) does anyone know where I may be able to get a true male? I have read that males are slightly smaller (my male was only the size of a key lime compared to the females, may have been a runt.) I am interested in a possible breeding project. I know this might be a hard request but am willing to take my time in getting a true male. Any help will be appreciated.

2. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

I am sorry that your male died. :(
    I guess frogs really will eat whatever they can fit in their mouths!?
    I hope it all works out for you.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

This is why usually we only get these guys together for mating, then separate again. They don't really live together like that in teh wild.

4. herps4life

herps4life Elite Member

Im terribly sorry to hear about your frog, thats terrible. i hope i never have to experience somthing like that. males are somewhat smaller, 2.5-2.75 svl and the male i have is a few shades darker than the females i have. the only way to truly know that its a male is if u inspect the animal yourself. you would have to buy an adult to be sure. and i would start looking at your local reptile show. Ive never been one to trust people enough to pick out an animal for me. so i don't like doing business over the internet, but everyone diff.the male is top left in the pic i attached. as for breeding, im not too sure of specifics but they lay eggs in shallow pools after heavy rains. but im not sure if they need cycled or not.

Attached Files:

• 224.jpg
      224.jpg
      File size:
      22.9 KB
      Views:
  5. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

herps4life - How cool to know that someone else has Tomatoes!! My male was darker but just a lot different in size. Had to be the runt. Too bad you weren't closer, we could arrange a 'play date' for them!! :D I'll start visiting my local shows a little more often since it's spring now.