This Disappears When Logged In

Tomato Frog with Prolapse

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by labelleninirose, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. labelleninirose

labelleninirose Elite Member

I just got home to my tomato frog with a prolapse...I put him in warm water a little bit...then used a qtip to carefully put it back it...it went it nicely...I'm worried now because he looks like he is going to die..his eyes are closed and he is not puffy anymore its like he lost 100 lbs and all there is left is lose skin. will he get any better???

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

eesh. Prolapses are usually because of an impaction. Hopefully he will pass it on his own. If it prolapses again, soak him in some sugar water. just mix in a tablespoon or two of powdered sugar with 1 cup warm water. The water should be about 82 degrees.

For now, take him out of any substrate and put him on paper towels. Bump the temps up 5 degrees. Give him a soak in a 50-50 mixture of CLEAR Pedialyte.

[​IMG]

3. labelleninirose

4. schlegelbagel

Yeah, he looks rather thin. He might have passed whatever was clogging him up, which is when the prolapse may have happened. Put him in a hospital tank for now. Offer some food tonight, and keep offering every day for a while.

5. labelleninirose

I'm sooo worried :( this is the fist time this has ever happened to me. He ate last night and was fine. He is on coco fiber usually and never leaves a cricket. I got him in a hospital tank right now...should I do the pedialite bath anyways? I'll have to go buy some I don't have any. Is there anything else I should do?

6. schlegelbagel

Pedialyte won't hurt him, Its always worth a try.

7. labelleninirose

I just got back with some pedialyte. He looks puffed up like a balloon in it. He seems a little more alert too. I hope he will pull through. I'm cleaning the frog tanks tonight. I'll keep him in a hospital tank for a few days...thanks for the help. If I pushed the prolapse back in will it replace its self on its own?

8. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Good luck :)

9. schlegelbagel

I think the prolapse will probably be fine. Its a wait and see thing now.

10. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

Good luck. All my froggies and I send hoppy thoughts to you and your 'mater!!!

11. labelleninirose

thank you liz,Lucy and kazoo my little guy is doing alot better :) he is going to stay in the hospital tank all weekend and if monday he is 100% better he will go back in his tank. I just cleaned and put new subtrate in it. all my frogs tanks were cleaned out tonight so they have clean beds :) I think the pedialyte helped alot!

12. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

Glad to hear it!!! BTW shipping to Canada for something that small is only $3.00US. I'm going to hold one for you!!!

13. labelleninirose

ahhh you mean the flukers thing? thats a good price for shipping :D I will gladly take one! Ill let you know when ill be ready. thanks alot kazoo! :)

14. labelleninirose

He still has not eaten... he is not acting the same way as before either...very sluggish. What should I do?

15. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Ugh, I don't know. Has he eaten at all this weekend? Have you been continuing the pedialyte soaks?

I don't know what to suggest - hopefully someone will come along and help.

16. labelleninirose

no I stopped the pedialyte soaks, right now he is burrowed so I rather not bother him. it might take him a few more days to get better we will see.

17. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

I hope everything is ok!!

18. labelleninirose

frogs are pretty sensitive animals...I think this is the kind of thing I need to let time fix. we will see how everything goes...I did what I can, I lightly pushed it back in and it went in...now I guess it needs time to replace its self.

19. schlegelbagel

Yep, I would let nature take its course and just let him be.

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just keep an eye on him. Sometimes the prolapse can be pushed back in and it will stay but others it will require a stitch or two to repair the vent muscles enough to hold it in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.