This Disappears When Logged In

Tomato Frog Questions

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Joy81, Jan 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

Ok, don't tell my husband, but on friday I'm going to get a tomato frog!!!! I went to get crickets yesterday, and they have one for $10, which they are now holding for me :p So last night I dug out all my books, and read every thing I could find online about them. I have a 10 gallon tank, and every thing I need, so I'm all set. My question is, are they nocturnal? Does any one have one? What are they like personality wise?:confused:

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I don't have one, but they are burrowing frogs. I would think they would be similar to Ornate Horned frogs (pacman). 10 gallon is OK, but if you have a spare 20 long, that would be better. You can keep them with other tomato frogs of the same size and of course you would need a bigger tank. They do calm down as they grow older, and turn into red, eating and sleeping lumps. ;)

I think Marsha had one, at one point.

3. venus

venus Founding Member

Thats afirmative, lol.. She is correct, they do burrow most of the time coming out for food :). They are really cute and I think you are going to enjoy him/her. What are you going to use as a substrate?

4. labelleninirose

labelleninirose Elite Member

I Have a tomato :) Very very sweet frog. Yes they are nocturnal, mine always comes out at night, he croaks alot too. They also have a big appetite. you will certainly love him or her :)

5. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Do you guys have pics of your frogs? :)

6. venus

venus Founding Member

7. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

they are soo cute! I'm very excited, do yours like to be handled?

8. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Very cute Marsha :)

9. labelleninirose

labelleninirose Elite Member

I really don't handle mine. I have a pic of my on my profile. his name is hubert :) I can make him croak with this toy frog that makes a frog noise when you squeez it lol

10. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

They ar easy frogs to care for. Mostly Wild caught, and very few to none are really tomato frogs. Most that are for sale are the False tomato frog. True Tomato Frogs lack the stripe that is normal in the False tomato frog.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.