This Disappears When Logged In

Told so... so many times!

Discussion in 'General' started by BlackJack, Mar 10, 2005.

?

Do you keep strict quarantine procedures for all new herps?

1. Yes, always (3 months or longer)

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. Yes, always (1-3 months)

12 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Hmmm, I've cut it short sometimes

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  4. No, never.

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Dozens of you have told me so; I've told dozens of you so ... but I didn't follow the advice... or only part way.

I didn't quarantine Monty at all -- and I paid for it with months of war against a mite infestation in both of my terrariums.
    I quarantined Q for just over one month: I waited for the stool sample: "no internal parasites" :D , and many weeks of VERY vigilant checking for mites and ticks: no external parasites :D

... and I was sure I was in the clear.... OR NOT?!

When I found out Q was not a male, I wanted to cut my losses and I decided to introduce her into Talyn's terrarium. They got on fine and I was happy to have saved the money on an extra terrarium, heating, lighting, etc.

After another month of slowly getting to know my new snake, I found out that she "whistles"... snakes aren't supposed to whistle and if I had kept her in quarantine, I would have caught this before any of my other snakes!!

It may take time to find out what is causing her whistling... but the fact remains: I messed up. Talyn could have (and might have) picked up a disease because I cut the quarantine time short.
    I was so focused on the mites, that I ignored all other things during the quarantine time.

Q may have an RI: the vet is unsure because she has NO physical symptoms of illness. (It was only when she put Q's mouth up to her ear, that she heard the sound and said she didn't like it at all.)
    In the event it is a bacterial infection, she is now on a round of antibiotics. But it could be viral, and then I just have to hope her immune system can handle it and get rid of it. It could, however, be some sort of congenital defect or there is some type of obstruction causing the whistling. Until we find out, or it goes away, she should (and will) be kept away from my other snakes. As soon as Talyn sheds, I will check her over carefully and listen for any noises.

If you keep super strict quarantine procedures, good for you!!! Keep it up!!
    If you don't, or are tempted to cut it short --- think carefully!! A 3-6 month quarantine MINIMUM will save you lots of time, MONEY, heartaches and headaches in the long run.
    With all the herpaholics on this forum and all the new additions to collections, here is a reminder... don't slack on quarantine!!!

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I am a firm believer in a 3 month minimum.

3. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

I'm very sorry that Q is ill.Hope she will soon be OK again.Q is the one from "zum Goldfisch",right? Oh,I could kill that guy!!
    All the best for you and Q!

4. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Sometimes slight whistling is a result of rubbing against a screen or striking at the glass. After placed in a proper enclosure this sometimes clears up after a couple of sheds. I'd still keep an eye out for RI and not rule it out.
    3 months quarantine here!!

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yep 3 months minimum. Years ago I made the mistake of putting a pair of brand new corn hatchlings in with another I already had. I lost both the new ones (they came from the same breeder) and it took 3 months of daily medicating but I managed to save the original.
    Don't have to tell me twice!

6. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

3 months at least. My WC dart frogs got an 8 month treatment and were tested before I decided they could even be put near my herp room.

7. BlackJack

I WILL NOT make this mistake again!
    For me... 3-6month MINIMUM from now on!! In fact, I now feel that I have the necessary experience and confidence to check any future snake much more carefully BEFORE I bring it home: not just holding it but examining it's scales and body, checking carefully for mites, opening it's mouth and looking inside. (I read all this in my boa book, and thought "Yeah, right: the pet store isn't going to let ME do THAT!" -- now I'm a hardened veteran... if they don't like it: that is NOT the place I'll buy from!!) In future checks, I will also put the snake's head near my ear to listen for whistling noises! I know it won't take the place of a quarantine, but I might save myself something in vet bills!!

PS - Jacky, yes, "Q" is the snake I bought from "zum Goldfisch"... My advice -- don't buy ANYTHING from that store, and hope they go out of business.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Now I am not talking about going in a store and expecting to pick up everything in sight and handle it but ANY dealer in live animals should not object to a thorough examination of an animal by a serious perspective buyer. That in itself should throw up a big red flag!

9. BlackJack

I was not allowed to handle Q myself until she was paid for and I got her out of the store. The worker and the owner in the store held her and got impatient when I took a bit of extra time looking at her mental groove and around her eyes!
    There were just soooooo many big red flags connecting with this buy, that I must have mistaken them for red wallpaper! Or I'm colored blind.

10. Mr. T

Mr. T Established Member

my boa whistles to... ive got her checked for an RI and it isnt. when i got mine her nose whats wiped off from a screen roof. the vet said she may have a deformed nostril and it will not impede her. i definatly believe in the 3 month quaranteen. shes very healthy now and still weeses sometimes

11. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

I've had to learn the lesson when I brought Ruppert home and I checked him out with a magnifying glass even!!...Tough lesson to learn!! Mites are the pits!

12. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

I do believe in quarentine, but have cut it short sometimes, it has depended where I bought from, luckily I havent experienced anything bad disease or mite wise, I have only had Pixel get RI but he wasn't infected by another herp that was brought into my collection, he just got it, and Tolkein had raised salmonella when I first got him, and that was caught straight away with anti-biotic injections. if I see or hear something suspicious, im off to the vets instantly, where as im lucky there too they usually fit me in same day...

13. BlackJack

I'm feeling more and more convinced that Q is not ill at all. She just ate 2 rats (124g) and is VERY active. (It takes two of us to hold her down for her antibiotic injections --3 would be better!)
    That does not change the fact that I should have kept her longer in quarantine, but at least she may not be ill... I will finish the course of antibiotics, but I think it might be something more "structural" like Cody's boa.

14. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Pixel carried on eating throughout him having RI, it didnt seem to bother his appetite at all, or his activity.......

15. BlackJack

Anyone else?

C'mon, I KNOW there are multiple herp owners out there... what's your quarantine system like??? :cool:

The good news is that I checked Talyn over carefully today: no noises, clean mouth: OK she did hiss at me LOUDLY when I held her head and tried to pry open her mouth but that doesn't count! ;)
    I held her open and closed mouth up to my ear --- not a squeek, puff, whistle or click... which hopefully means that either she hasn't caught anything, or Q is not contagious, or Talyn's immune system is just better at protecting her.
    Q is still in a separate quarantine container, but hasn't been whistling or puffing in the last few days. I've still got a week of injections for her, so hopefully by then whatever this is will have cleared up.

16. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

So far we've been lucky Andrea. Now though we have herps in almost every room so how do we properly quarantene the next one ?? Sadly that thought never occured to me til YOU started this thread,,,LOL. Guess I'll just have to buy a bigger house !!

17. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

We cut quarantine short just once with Sally our newest corn (of course that's not saying too much since we only have four snakes total). I knew for sure she didn't have mites, but of course I was taking a chance with anything else. We've been lucky though, and none of our snakes has had problems *knock on wood* Now, in our 1230 sq. foot house, with snakes in two of the bedrooms and the living room, I wouldn't have many places to quarantine any new ones...not that my husband will let me have any more anyway...I think we've exceeded his max herp limit as it is! I don't dare push for more.....just yet :D

18. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

We do now.. admittedly we haven't always in the past, but like many others, we have paid for it and learned from the experiences - for example, we had a huge mite infestation when we first bought our male boa Charley,. took us a long time and a lot of stress and upset to clear up the mites, but luckily we got rid of them all and always make sure now that we quarantine new animals for a period of at least 1-3 months, depending on the animal.

19. SKULLMAN

SKULLMAN Elite Member

blackjack thats awful i hope everythings will be ok :(
    i only keep 1 snake per tank,and my pet store guy has a quaratine period for all herps before they come into the store.so i didn't think i had too,i keep an eye out for mites and bring stool sample on a regular bais. but if i were to have more than one in the same tank i would wait the 3 months

20. BlackJack

Mites on store-bought substrate!

Thanks, I'm sure everything's going to be fine... I have the girls in separate quarantine enclosures and I've up-ed the temps to the higher end of their range. They seem to be doing fine.
    While they're in quarantine, I'm doing some maintenance and optimizing on the big terrarium. :D

I, personally, will not trust anyone else's quarantine measures but my own!!

PS, folks: I just found out that mites can sometimes come in on pet-store-bought substrate and wood products! :eek: As I just had another mite scare: I'm not taking ANY chances. Call me insane, but now I freeze all my humus-bricks and sphagnum moss for at least 5 days and I "nuke" everything in the microwave (I bought a cheap microwave just for this purpose!) before it goes anywhere near my terrariums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.