This Disappears When Logged In

Tokays Found Around the House

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by HeyImKat, Jun 24, 2013.

1. HeyImKat

HeyImKat New Member

Hi, I'm new. I'm not sure if this is where I'm supposed to be posting this or even supposed to be on this forum at all... D:

In a week i'm going back to my grandma's for a while (Thailand). And her house is out in the countryside. At night, Tokay (which I'm pretty sure they are. I know a lot about animals but not very keen with reptiles) geckos come out and they're attracted to the light. The light is where the "food source" aka flies are. And they just eat whatever they can catch. They're really vicious and a pretty decent size(when I was little and lived with my grandma I almost got bit by one). The thing is, out in the countryside, you never know what you're gonna see (cobra/scorpion/spider/whatever). They pretty much just pop out of nowhere.

I don't know a lot about tokays, can someone please tell me about their "personality" and aggression and what I should do when I see one? how bad the bite thing etc. And what should I do if I get bit by one?
    I don't see these guys unless I go to the petstore (or back to Asia).

Thanks! :)

2. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

If you just leave them be, they should leave you alone as well. They're very territorial, so avoid their "space". They usually don't show aggression unless you approach them or invade their space.

If you get bit, especially by a wild Tokay, it could be pretty bad. They're known for having one of the most painful bites of the lizard species. But they rarely bite without providing plenty of warning i.e. the gape. If you're near a Tokay and witness the gape, back off. They may even bark. But they're not known for going out of their way to harm people, so you should be fine in all honesty.

Worst case scenario, if you do get bit, just treat it like you would any bite from any animal - wash it thoroughly, apply polysporin/neosporin, and wrap it up.

3. HeyImKat

HeyImKat New Member

Thank you so much! :) And do wild ones carry any sort of disease? Just curious

4. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

Not that I've ever heard of. I think it'd just be the same concern as it would be with most wild animals; infection from an untreated wound.

5. HeyImKat

HeyImKat New Member

Alright, thank you so much! :)

6. Logan

Logan Elite Member

I was bit by a Tokay once. DEFINITELY not a good time, and it was a pet .. I've been bit by horses, dogs, cats, snakes, rats, rabbits .. and I'm sure some others .. Freddy's bite was noooot a good time ...

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just like all reptiles, they can carry salmonella bacteria. But exposure is unlikely unless you are handling them.

8. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

And then even if for whatever reason you DO handle them, washing your hands and practicing good hygiene afterward will mean you're all set.