This Disappears When Logged In

Tokay Health Question??

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by dylroche, Oct 16, 2013.

1. dylroche

dylroche Well-Known Member

So my WC Tokay seems to be doing ok, from the looks of it looks like his coloring is getting lighter also so that's good.. But being WC I have been stressing over if he has worms/parasites even while I'm at work lol.. I get paid Friday and was wondering can I just go to the vet and get worming medicine and parasite meds without a stool sample? I doubt their is any he isn't eating yet and I just want to be on the safe side. Let me know thanks!

Also how would I give the meds to him?

2. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

A reputable exotics vet won't prescribe meds without either seeing a sample or seeing your gecko first. Some will prescribe a general dewormer (Panacur is common), but I still believe they'll be required to see your animal first. The dosage to prescribe is based on weight and age/size of the animal.

Different ailments require different medications. Prescribing the wrong medication can do more harm than good, as not only will it not treat the condition, there is also a risk of adverse side effects.

Many vets will test a fecal sample in the absence of seeing an animal, so I would call around to find one who will, then work on getting a sample to them. Explain that it is a WC Tokay, as I've experienced cases where the vets who would normally require the animal to come in made an exception due to the nature of the species.

In the event your gecko requires treatment, it's fairly straightforward with WC or non-tame Tokays - drop it in their mouth when they gape, or, alternatively, drop it on the tip of their nose (avoiding their nostrils) and they'll lick it off. You may even be able to administer the meds without restraining your gecko, which is ideal.

Don't stress; keep your gecko warm and stress-free, and get a sample when you can. Parasites take their toll when the gecko is subjected to improper temperatures and/or constantly stressed. A happy Tokay is a hardy Tokay, and he should manage just fine until you figure out if he needs treatment.

3. dylroche

dylroche Well-Known Member

I'm hoping I can without restraining him, really weird to me but he hasn't opened his mouth or tried to bite me once yet.. Anyways if I cant get a sample I guess I will just take him in!