This Disappears When Logged In

Tokay Bite Bloody Lol

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by dylroche, Oct 18, 2013.

1. dylroche

dylroche Well-Known Member

So today was the first day I handled my gecko, I went in palm flat at him under his chin, which he did not like lol. Gave me a warning bite, he unfortunately crawled out of his enclosure and could of went through a crack or got lost in my room easy.. So I had to grab him behind his head which I didn't want to do.. And put him in the critter carrier.. As I did he got me good lol ;]

xshx.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. Zerp3D

Zerp3D Elite Member

Hahahaha! Pretty good bite for a tokay! Glad to hear that he is alright though!

3. dylroche

Ya for sure lol he isn't even full grown lol.. Couldn't imagine an adult bite :O

4. Zerp3D

Zerp3D Elite Member

You could imagine your finger missing from the third knuckle up! Trolol. I don't know that for a fact, never had experience with tokays. :p After reading your post though and doing some research, they are incredible creatures! I'm definitely interested in them now.

5. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

****, i didn't know geckos could so such damage. they look so cute

6. dylroche

Tokays are definitely my favorite gecko they are gorgeous, even if they are the most aggressive lol. Makes me want to work with him even more cause of it. I say go for it if you are up to dealing with an aggressive Gecko. Mine is wild caught, so he will be harder to get to "tolerate" me... Rather not say tame.. Their are CB ones that will be somewhat easier to handle. They do cost a little more though.

Yes, they are cute lol.. So deceiving.. Glad I didn't get a full grown one to start out with.. Or I might of been getting stitches tonight hah

7. Zerp3D

Zerp3D Elite Member

I don't mind being bit, they are just acting on their natural habits. Sort of have to expect to get bitten by a tokay.

8. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

there are some pretty reasonable prices on these little guys. I've never been interested in geckos until now.

9. dylroche

Go get yourself one;)! And yes by far my favorite gecko, they are cheaper I beleive because of the quantities they are caught in and for the fact that they are very agressive lol no one wants them.. Let me know if ya decide to get one!

10. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

I will. I have a lot of work to do with my other lizards for now. It's funny, I keep thinking all I want is one more lizard and then I run into another awesome little critter. I think I might get rid of a sofa to make room for another shelf for vivariums haha.

11. dylroche

Haha that's how I feel! I get one and instantly start looking for another lol

12. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

What I would recommend is to always take your Tokay out of the enclosure with gloves, or by removing a piece of decor with them attached to it. Tokays - particularly males - are notoriously cage defensive and territorial, and this is something I find, especially with WC Tokays or older Tokays who were never handled previously, you cannot wean them out of. My biggest male is an absolute sweetheart outside of his enclosure, but the minute he's back in there, he's defending his space to the death. If I can't easily get him out via his decor, I'm using gloves. If I don't, I'm bleeding.

13. dylroche

Ahh I haven't tried out of the enclosure! I definitely need to try that didn't even think of it. Is it okay to grab them behind the front legs? I don't want him to think of me as a threat that's why I haven't yet.. I do the palm flat and try to go under his chin but when I get close he just nips me each time lol

14. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

Yes you can grab them that way, just be careful you don't squeeze too hard. They will flail and whip their body when you do, so instinctively you'll want to squeeze tighter. You've made good progress so far; if you're patient and keep at it, eventually you'll likely be able to scoop him up from underneath without any issues at all. When working with newcomer Tokays, I always opt for scooping them first and then herding them into a container or onto a decor item to get them out, as it's less stressful and risky than flat out grabbing them. Sometimes though, they wedge themselves into the corner or bottom of the tank, and the scoop method doesn't work.

The nipping is normal, just be sure you aren't pulling away and leaving him alone (i.e. giving him his way). You'll teach him that nipping works. Tokays are incredibly smart geckos, and learn fast. A general consensus is that you will have to take a few bites before they learn that biting you has no effect.

Tonight, for the first time, I just started working with one of my WC adult males who has never been handled before. After a couple hours and a few bites, he's now at the point where I can get him to hand-walk and scoop him up outside of his enclosure without being gaped at or bitten. I can also rub him under the chin and on the mouth with no reaction. In order for him to retain this, I'll have to work with him nightly for some time. My last Tokay took about 10 days I believe to be fully "tame" (i.e. no signs or displays of aggressive behavior towards me or others outside of the tank, can be freely handled without concern).

So yes, that's something else to note. When you start handling, it's a good idea to do so when you have at least a week (or more) to work with them nightly. They'll learn much quicker, and once they've learned, daily handling isn't required to keep them "tame".

15. dylroche

Thanks so much for the help! Yea when he nips me he barely does it and then runs off so I'm startin to think he knows it doesn't bother me and that's why he'll run now. Gonna try the out of tank method tomorrow and put him on my bed. Thanks again

16. thinkbig317

thinkbig317 Elite Member

Gotta love tokays, haha! The pitbulls of the gecko world! ;)