This Disappears When Logged In

Tired Of Living In Florida, Time For Texas.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KrokadilyanGuy3, Dec 23, 2015.

1. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

Well, after 11 years living in Florida, I'm finally tired of it. More like finally got an option to relocate with my job..

I'm heading to the Austin area, so it's time to build up my animals again. Moved to Florida with the promise from the state to be able to keep my crocodilians but once I got here, they made me get rid of everything.. One reason I kind of been very limited on my visits here.

Going to be awesome to get back into the scene with my hots and crocs.

Anyone in the area? Trying to get into the NE side

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I saw some of your posts on FB regarding the possible move. I'm glad it is something you want.

3. KrokadilyanGuy3

Thanks.
    At this point, it seems like a smart plan in the herpetological sense. At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised Florida will initiate an all out herp ban soon enough.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome back Zane.
    Sadly, I have to agree with you. It will not surprise me if Florida doesn't completely ban ownership of herps.
    It looks like the way that they are headed.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

It's really too bad what's happening in Florida, I was really hoping to move there at some point to get away from Michigan winters. I've liked Texas the few times I've been through there though, so that would be the next option. Might have to do a vacation there at some point.

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Sounds like you've had a rough time of it lately. Hope you can land a good property that suits you.

7. KrokadilyanGuy3

Yeah, Florida is getting ridiculous. Can't even use melamine for any species of reptile that is regulated, despite the fact all enclosures are inspected before and during the life of the enclosure. But, instead of taking action on the Officer in charge of the inspection, they bar the rest of us from a good and suitable product.
    I also just read a regulation not too long ago from a buddy in the know that they're going to go after anything that reaches 6' and maybe anything 4' and taking notice to lizards who are semitropical..

Texas should be great. Still regulation, but everything is very reasonable and not ridiculous.

Good to see ya Merlin and Mike.

I'll be in Austin if anyone wants to do some herping or hanging out.

kriminaal likes this.
  8. lcpete

lcpete New Member

That sounds like a nightmare situation in Florida common sense never seems to apply in these situations
    I'm from the UK so there's no chance of tropical reptiles becoming a problem if they escape into the wild or are released by irresponsible people

9. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

There is little or no chance of anything tropical getting established in 99% of the US, but science and facts mean little to an irrational mind. I actually had to have an argument with a co-worker who was convinced that Burmese pythons were establishing wild populations in Texas. Tried to explain that the only areas that stay warm enough all year are far too dry, and that they have no instinct to seek shelter form cold weather. Didn't help, so I finally gave up.

lcpete likes this.