This Disappears When Logged In

Tips on Dubia Colony.

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by lizardhoarder139, Aug 22, 2014.

1. lizardhoarder139

lizardhoarder139 Elite Member

Hi guys, I started a dubia colony about 3 weeks ago. I know it takes awhile to get one going so I'm not worried about that. I usually see pictures and videos of these guys all over in the water crystals and food and walking around not caring if the lid is off and are not shy at all.
    Mine are the opposite, my breeder bin is always quiet and they dont move much when the lid is off. I rarely catch them in their food or water. I'm wondering, do I need more for them to feel more comfortable?? I have 3 males and about 16 females ( had more but lost a few because I was just learning) I have a heat pad underneath that keeps it in the high 80s and after I lost a few I put the food and water in the middle instead of just on one side, and started lightly misting the egg crate every morning. Since then i have not lost any and the females have swelled up with babies. I also have a feeder tub that has about 200 small to medium numphs and they are doing great! I always see them in their food and water and are always moving around and are growing pretty fast. I cut a piece out of each container and covered it with mesh for ventilation also. And criticism or tips are very welcome!! I've done a lot of research on them, but I know I can learn more and want to hear your guys tricks!! Thanks!!

2. lizardhoarder139

Well I ordered more anyway, I knew it wouldn't hurt, so we will see how it goes!!

3. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

The more the merrier.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would bring the heat up a bit. 90-95 will speed them up.

5. lizardhoarder139

Thanks! I raised the temp and now it's in the 90s, they seem to be doing better. Now I'm just waiting for the others I ordered :)